Search the forum,

Discuss Repair or replace - advice in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Current boiler Worcester Greenstar 30CDi installed Aug 2011. Started showing error EA. Initially a rest made it work again but last Thursday it would reset but then showed the same error after a few minutes. No heating (only problem is heated towel rail does not heat) but also no hot water. Then discovered that the backup immersion heater did not work either (never used since we bought the property 6 years ago. I did same research and diagnosed that the immersion heater thermostat was not working and have replaced it se we now have hot water on a separate plugin timer.

My heating company who has been servicing the boiler came this morning - the first slot they had (promising first Friday and then Monday). He spent a long time on the phone to Worcester and it was concluded that it was probably the gas valve needing to be replaced. He did change one component first - I forget whet he called it.

There seems to be some possibility that other components will also need to be replaced.

My question is it worth cutting my losses and getting a new boiler or having this one repaired? I have been getting pressure loss for a long time. A top up every month is usual. It is now only lasting for a week. There are two expansion vessels. I assume that this might be due to the number of radiators.

What make of boiler would you recommend? Roughly how much should it cost? I would expect to add a filter as there isn't ne at the moment. We have a large hot water cylinder and recently installed (three years ago) Honeywell Evohome controls. We are located in Prestwood Bucks.

I am rather disappointed that the service company was told about the breakdown on Thursday morning but took until today to come. They knew we had no hot water which is why I repaired it myself. We are approaching the age (late 70s) where we could be regarded as vulnerable.

Did he test the gas valve as it’s easy to test

Standard items to change on ea

Bearing plate and Electrodes

Also when was the last time it was serviced / parts

I would hands down keep a Cdi best Worcester boiler

Prv leaking ?

The engineer sent about 30 minutes on the phone talking to Worcester Bosch and making tests. He had already replaced the bearing plate and examined the electrodes. There was some white powder on them but no obvious signs of wear.

The electrodes were changed about 2 years ago. He said the electrodes appeared to be OK. If I recall correctly it is working on full power correctly but not modulating down correctly which is when it displays the error. He was told by Worcester Bosch to replace the gas valve as that might be the cause.

I believe that the components that need to be replaced will cost about £500 which is why I am wondering whether to replace the boiler and get a 10year guarantee (if I have read the blurb correctly). I understand that there are some "consumable" items that are not covered by the guarantee.

Does it just turn off / flame light go out when on low ?

Worcester fixed price repair 275 will fix the boiler including any parts this should of been advised to you

Does it just turn off / flame light go out when on low ?

Worcester fixed price repair 275 will fix the boiler including any parts this should of been advised to you
I was not able to see exactly what he was doing. As far as I know he was monitoring CO2 levels on his meter and there was a problem when the boiler modulated from high to low. The boiler reported an error EA and shut off all heating. He was following instructions from Worcester help line. From previous services he has seemed to know what he was doing. I will ask the company about the fixed price repair.

the gas valve might just need resetting

Reply to Repair or replace - advice in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock