Search the forum,

Discuss removing silicone in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

-=HaZ=-

When I have finished the bathroom in the house on working on I have siliconed everything but in places I need to clean it up
When its dry what's the best way to get silicone off metal such as the frame work on a shower.
Rubbing my finger takes ages on it so want another way that's easy and not going to damage the unit

Thanks

Stanley knife blade n gently rub it away careful not to slip and scratch the surface also have a go with nail varnish remover but test it on the surface where it can't be seen first

Have you ever used silikil? I've used it on a bath with I took out, repaired water damaged floor and put back in. Removed the old silicone from bath and tiles really well. Also when re-siliconing inside showers.

Toolstation: Silicone Eater 100ml

Stanley blade and a good rub with a "dry" cloth.......much easier than rubbing the prints off your fingers!

Try not leaving excess silicone to harden on any surfaces in the first place?
I have just began to use a kit of those small differently shaped flexible rubber silicone working tools from Lidl. Absolutely brilliant & I should have bought some years ago! Use whatever corner cut out that you want to leave a nice even silicone joint & then use the tapered flat edges of the tool to completely remove the micro thin silicone over spread.
If you have to ever remove hardened silicone, I accidently discovered that some of the spray cleaners for preparing surfaces for polymer sealant, actually removes silicone. I will look up its name & repost.

Just fill the joint with silicon when applying, spray WD40 or (not quite as good) silicon lubricant over the joint before smoothing down. This stops the silicon sticking to anything outside the joint but not the joint itself for some reason.

If we are too late for that, get some nail polish remover, one that contains acetone. This loosens it up nicely off shower enclosures etc.

Apparantly this stuff is the bollx for removing old silicone Multisolve - CT1Ltd
This is according to a Finisher that does a hell of a lot of sealing in bathrooms and kithens

Expanding foam gun cleaner does 99.9 % the same for about £3

He's used loads on demo vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to removing silicone in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock