Discuss question for the self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nysk2008

Im currently employed and have the hump, just feel that im not being used and pushed as much as i want to. I currently do service and breakdown work (no install), but more service than breakdown which is mind-numbing, i'm thinking about going self employed. Ive been self employed before but never really done any marketing i mainly just done a bit of subbie work. I actually miss plumbing and the odd bit of copper work but dont want to jump ship if the market is still poor. would love to hear how you self employed are all getting on and if the work is there to make a living. my salary is v.poor by the way

cheers

A lot depends on where you are, this part of the country is overrun with plumbers ! and rates and work are poor, any poor salary is better than nothing , don't forget the costs of going on your own, van, insurance etc. ask around your local area, but don't believe everything you are told, some will tell you they are booked up for weeks, but probably like most of us its a day to day thing , I manage 2 / 3 days a week sometimes not even that.

swindon ray, i think there is a good few GS engineers around here which may make it tough for me to break in.

Just outside our area, so I don't have first hand knowledge.

You're right to be thinking about the non-technical parts though, like the marketing. In my experience, the most successful self-employed blokes concentrate as much on selling themselves and building the business as they do on the pipework. Sure you have to be technically competent - but that isn't enough on its own.

Hi nysk2008

you are in Swindon like 45 mins from London !
M4 etc - if I have the correct take on your
home area what are you waiting for.

I would target West London and can give you the post
codes -advertise - take the work - drive in every day early
with a van full off the normal parts - and make loads of money

centralheatking

Hi nysk2008

you are in Swindon like 45 mins from London !
M4 etc - if I have the correct take on your
home area what are you waiting for.

I would target West London and can give you the post
codes -advertise - take the work - drive in every day early
with a van full off the normal parts - and make loads of money

centralheatking

love the optimism, wish I had the balls to just jump ship but with commitments its real hard to make the leap.

Go for it. Life's too short to waste time. If you go belly up, go employed again and you can say you had a go.

Good luck

Go for it. Life's too short to waste time. If you go belly up, go employed again and you can say you had a go.

Good luck
How you doing in the Langley area ? I used t live in Bracknell, (20 Years) then moved back to Devon (04) always busy covered a 25 mile radius, some odd days into London

I was very quiet when I started last year but I do other things to bring in the bread.

I'm getting busier and doing as much as I can at present.

If I can't do something I'll ask a mate to help or ask someone on here. If I'm still not comfortable I'll not do the job.

It's a slow process but never looked back.

My outgoings are very low with no mortgage so I'm in a position that I don't need a lot of money but don't have enough forever.

I'll keep going, got taps & leaks next week plus other bits.

I started with Rated People, don't use it now as people want to pay very low labour rates but it was ok for experience.

I'm the same as jts here gone very slow for me and the work I am getting is quite a low rate . Have just been looking at doing agency work to give me a boost help get my income up.

At the same time it also depends on area and if you get a lucky break

I've been self employed since April this year, I have 2 possibly 3 days a week of my own work and fill my other hours with subbing from a couple of firms local to me, just trying to get some more subbing from a firm in Btn to keep things ticking over! In all honesty I've found word of mouth easily the best way of getting work.

If you do take the leap good luck, it's hard work and so far I've had a few stumbles but it really does have a great feel about it.

Ch4 has balls well done Ch4 I have been self employed since 1983 and started in the same way centralheatking
I've been self employed since April this year, I have 2 possibly 3 days a week of my own work and fill my other hours with subbing from a couple of firms local to me, just trying to get some more subbing from a firm in Btn to keep things ticking over! In all honesty I've found word of mouth easily the best way of getting work.

If you do take the leap good luck, it's hard work and so far I've had a few stumbles but it really does have a great feel about it.

love the optimism, wish I had the balls to just jump ship but with commitments its real hard to make the leap.

How big are your commitments? I went se three years ago with big commitments 4x kids, mortgage etc etc. As rocket said just give it a shot
ps I am doing well, kids are fed and bills are paid

if your comfort zone is being impinged on by the thought of going self employed then don't be surprised as its scary going out there on your own, but once you have done it and succeeded then its brilliant, but it takes a lot of sleepless nights before you get going. It's down to you, a lot of people never want the hassle and stay employed, others try it and then decide to go back but some of us crack on despite the risks and manage to keep going. there's pros and cons to both sides but you wont know till you get out there on your own whether you've don e the right thing

cheers everyone for all the advise. Im going for it!! I am gonna stay PAYE until I build up a base but am starting to hand out flyers from tommoz, and work for myself on evenings and weekends.

cheers everyone for all the advise. Im going for it!! I am gonna stay PAYE until I build up a base but am starting to hand out flyers from tommoz, and work for myself on evenings and weekends.
Just watch out for HMRC, don't tell them to soon or you will get hammered for tax

Not sure I agree with that. I TF them as soon as I started and told them I'd probably make a loss of which I did,

I'd rather be up front with them as they're more likely to help you & advise.

It is hard. Feast or famine. I know guys been self employed 20 yrs who are quiet. raising the profile of your business is key.Internet advertising with a web site, local press, leaflet drops, local advertising booklets, shops, supermarkets et.

Good luck to you. I'm in the process of setting up and moving to a new area as well. Doing the work isn't a problem for me it's the other stuff that scares the hell out of me like book keeping etc. I'm moving in 2 weeks time all I have at the moment is 1 bathroom suite to do for my girlfriends dad and that's it so I might be on here more often (as soon as I get the internet sorted)

good luck Millsy, youre be fine mate
Good luck to you. I'm in the process of setting up and moving to a new area as well. Doing the work isn't a problem for me it's the other stuff that scares the hell out of me like book keeping etc. I'm moving in 2 weeks time all I have at the moment is 1 bathroom suite to do for my girlfriends dad and that's it so I might be on here more often (as soon as I get the internet sorted)

Just watch out for HMRC, don't tell them to soon or you will get hammered for tax

I think this is poor advice, tell them and ask what you are entitled to claim via an accountant, as already posted, first year into second year you can claim your expenses and if you "make a loss" it goes against your other income therefore reduces your tax paid

Any self employed person who does not get the 5am's worrying about
dosh, job, truck etc is lieing and if you are an employed fella
and dont want this hassle stay employed and worry about
if your company is solid and will pay your wages forever

I still get the 5am worries centralheatking
if your comfort zone is being impinged on by the thought of going self employed then don't be surprised as its scary going out there on your own, but once you have done it and succeeded then its brilliant, but it takes a lot of sleepless nights before you get going. It's down to you, a lot of people never want the hassle and stay employed, others try it and then decide to go back but some of us crack on despite the risks and manage to keep going. there's pros and cons to both sides but you wont know till you get out there on your own whether you've don e the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to question for the self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am currently in the forces looking to leave in the next year or so. i have a level 3 apprenticeship in electrical and mechanical...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently qualified as a gas engineer , for the time i was training at the college , i was working as a apprentice for about 6 months...
Replies
Views
Im fitting a kitchen in my own house . When removing the gas oven on a bayonet fitting and turned the gas hob off and removed a four burner gas...
Replies
Views
Back