Search the forum,

Discuss Protecting pipes chased into block walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hargjus

Hello forum. First time user here (and now registered)! Can someone please advise the best/recommended method to protect 15mm copper pipes that I will be setting back into a wall to feed radiators in my house. I've already chased the walls, which are standard concrete blocks, but I'm aware of the long term issues that can occur with copper pipe coming into direct contact with concrete. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for registering, and welcome to the forum. Climaflex lagging (other brands are available!) will do just fine. Make sure you tape up the joint to prevent cement seeping through the slit.

Or hair felt lagging. Smells weird though.

I would not use hair felt. It's got very little insulation value compared with closed-cell foam, and it's porous so cement can seep through. There are a whole bunch of blocks of flats near me with central heating pipes buried in concrete, that are all beginning to pinhole. All wrapped in hair felt lagging, all got cement crusted on the pipes and joints.

Or if you haven't got the wall thickness to chase deeper the black duck tape will be ok give it a couple of layers tho

Nice one, thanks all for your responses - very helpful! Shall definitely use this forum again.

Good old Denso. Have a Stanley knife in the van that I use just for it. Very messy though.

Thank you for registering, and welcome to the forum. Climaflex lagging (other brands are available!) will do just fine. Make sure you tape up the joint to prevent cement seeping through the slit.

Really? How much of the wall are you taking out? Got to be 33mm minimum for a 15mm pipe?

I use the tape they use for damp proof membrane.

If you are just protecting from corrosion then use a 50mm wide pvc tape and when you wrap it overlap it by 50%. When chasing out use have a maximum :-
1/3 when chasing vertical
1/6 when chasing horizontal
So for a 100mm block wall you can chase 33mm vertical and 16mm horizontal.

Last edited:
Why not use plastic coated copper - more expensive I know, but it also allows the pipe to expand and contract during the heating cycle

Make sure it's only black duct tape as grey duct tape reacts with the copper and it melts :p

The black stuff is waterproof so only use that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Protecting pipes chased into block walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock