Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure loss in Glow-Worm 30sxi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Glow-Worm 30sxi running a mixed underfloor and radiator heating system and Megaflow hot water system. The boiler is about 4 years old and was serviced a couple of months ago. There was a small amount of air in one radiator when I turned the heating on this autumn so I bled the radiator and repressurised the system a couple of weeks ago. Since then the system has lost pressure every night and I have to repressurise it each morning. Having read other threads in this forum I suspect either

a) the prv is leaking (the pressure did rise immediately after I bled/repressurised the system so the prv may have been unseated), or
b) the expansion vessel needs recharging. Reading the user manual from Glow-Worm it describes how to replace the ev but not how to recharge it.

My questions are: can I recharge the ev in the 30sxi, and if so how? Is there a way to make sure the prv seats properly?

Advice would be welcome.

Hi whc39 & :welcome: :)

Simple answer is yes to whether you can recharge the EV the how is a bit more complex... Regards the prv you can check outside where the pipe discharges to see if it is dripping or you can tie a bag over the end and see if it collects any water... If it does then it'll need replacing. That is usually the best time to check the EV too as you need the heating system de pressurised to check the charge in the EV & also need the system open if in deed the EV requires pumping up :)

Thanks Steve. I suspected that would be the conclusion. I have checked the outlet pipe and it is indeed dripping. I also acknowledge your comments about my limitations and wonder whether I should bite the bullet and pay for a Glow-Worm engineer or trust my local engineer who did the service. The Glow-Worm option is expensive, but is it money well spent?

Thanks again for your quick response.

It's an hours work max plus the new prv. If you purchase that yourself before hand it'll save a second visit by whoever does the job :) There's some good guys get on here. You can post your wherabouts here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas engineer.[/DLMURL] and then make up your mind later yeh :)

local engineer is your best bet whether its the prv or the ev that needs attention youll need the prv as they seldon reseat once theyve opened and he has to drain boiler to change so easy to check the ev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure loss in Glow-Worm 30sxi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock