Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing / Heating firms taking on people new to trade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Lee

Hey,

Is there any Plumbing / Heating firms taking on people these days who are still training? Ive got C&G 2 and doing level 3 at college but to get the NVQs i need to be on the job.... I've been searching all over the place and it seems no ones taking on trainees.

I dont understand it really, surely people like me are an investment into the firms future. I understand they need to make money firstly and don't always have the time to have someone shadowing them. I starting to think its all about blagging jobs now to gain that experience... But i want to learn and be competent not a chancer.

Tried some of the bigger firms and they only want 18-24year old apprentices / mates (I'm 39) or fully qualified engineers. Its a catch 22 situation.

Hey,

Is there any Plumbing / Heating firms taking on people these days who are still training? Ive got C&G 2 and doing level 3 at college but to get the NVQs i need to be on the job.... I've been searching all over the place and it seems no ones taking on trainees.

I dont understand it really, surely people like me are an investment into the firms future. I understand they need to make money firstly and don't always have the time to have someone shadowing them. I starting to think its all about blagging jobs now to gain that experience... But i want to learn and be competent not a chancer.

Tried some of the bigger firms and they only want 18-24year old apprentices / mates (I'm 39) or fully qualified engineers. Its a catch 22 situation.
Honestly you will struggle. Most will assume that you will expect a higher wage than a teenager.

I prefer to take on older guys as they have more commitment and are more likely to be grafters.

I have given a good few a start over the years and only one teenage apprentice.

Keep trying.[emoji6]

It's complicated and I do feel for you Gary. A 16 year old costs peanuts, often has little ambition to go solo for a good few years, and is malleable. A 39 year old will need an income, is much more set in his ways, more opinionated and far more likely to set up in competition soon after finishing training...

Cheers Guys, very good points. Im aiming to get a start with a bigger firm so i can offer some sort of longevity to them. I don't really plan to go solo as I've been self employed as a painter and decorator and hate the stress that comes with self employment.

wish no one dragged me into trade at 16....maybe would be doing a proper job now...as they say ..if you could go back..boy i would run......not really...loooooove the trade

It's really hard work to find a apprenticeship nowadays. Im 28 and just landed one with a biggish firm.
Tried getting one for years around my area plus surrounding areas. In the end I managed to get one and start in a weeks time but to get this job/ opportunity I am relocating myself and my young family 3 and a half hours away from where I live.
Going to be on the most horrendous wage for the next year 18 months for a 28 year old but so worth it to work with a plumber daily to really learn the trade and also get my nvq which is important.

Good luck mate I know it's hard out there.

Mate I feel your pain. I'm 38 now and have been with a firm since September last year. I shadowed with them for free for 2 months. Then I asked for minimum wage just to cover my lunches and travel which I was on for another couple months. As soon as I saw a job opening I asked for the job. I think the boss was skeptical about me and I can understand why as I'd only done a technical level 2 certificate with very limited hands on experience. But I pushed on and he gave me a chance. I'm not saying I didn't annoy the pants off him when I panicked at silly little jobs but as he said the other day, I've come a long way since then. I bombarded nearly every single local plumbing & heating firm around my area until someone said yes. I think local companies will always favour local employees so target your local area and don't give up. Good luck mate.

Thanks jay and stokesy... You've given me a bit of hope lol. Good luck chaps

I feel your pain. I was serving my time as a plumber 89/90.
I was let go, and didn't get to finish my time.
Now forty, I have a gas acs ticket that is about to run out at the end of this year.
Like jay from London, I offered to work for free to gain experience and hope they might take me on at min wage.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing / Heating firms taking on people new to trade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I recently finished my level 2 NVQ plumbing diploma at college and I'm looking for someone to help me...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Hope you are all well. My name is Henry and I am Dorset based, and looking to get into the Plumbing trade. I will have completed my...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I hope someone will be able to guide me. I am 31 and have my level 2 diploma in plumbing and heating, I currently work as a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I 'think' I've found a cheap solution to fulfilling all of my family's heat automation needs using Terrier i30 TRVs (eTRVs that have...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock