Discuss Personal co alarms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whn1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Ok, I've searched through some old threads about these with people saying they were oing to get them etc... I just wanted to know ow many of you actually carry them?

They are really expensive mate. I've just got a normal one in my toolbox that you'd use in your home.

I don't see the point in the personal ones that can upwards of a tonne.

So you do actually carry one just not a personal one...

Get a budgie or a canary to sit on your shoulder. If it falls off open a window....:eek:
I have an apprentice, will that do?

But then who'll open the window!?

£44 thats 25p per day for a 3 year life time . no brainer to me think i said that in another post i started about a year ago

£44 thats 25p per day for a 3 year life time . no brainer to me think i said that in another post i started about a year ago
Yea, I've been doing his for 11 years now with no problems with co, but that's the problem isn't it, it only takes one.

yep seen my old mentor fall to the floor within seconds of opening a compartment door

24p a day not even a chockie bar

Ouch...

I got one after reading the post on here. Mine was 50 bucks of ebay. I just think it is better to be safe than sorry. The post was about a 21yr old bg installer whose mum was worried he didn't come home and so called bg. They went to the place he was working and found him too late. I think he was installing a cooker and didn't know about a boiler in the back. A very sad story. So Iwear mine now

CO alarms are the sort of things that are always on the list of things to do but we never quite get round to.
My DH does not carry one.
Be interested to hear if any of you who do - have you been alerted to CO because you had your alarm with you?

Just bought that one from corgi direct £55 all in. All I need now is an alarm to remind me to wear that alarm....

A colleague of mine uses a co2 detector. He says co2 is as bad if not worse than co.

A colleague of mine uses a co2 detector. He says co2 is as bad if not worse than co.

co blocks your haemaglobin permanently from absorbing oxygen hence why you die, co2 works to activate you body to breathe and absorb o2, to much co2 and you breathe harder in order to get rid of it, no co2 and you dont bother to suck in air and faint all controlled by the medulla oblongata found at the base of your brain. so co2 isnt a problem as far as we are concerned but co most definately is. (old biology knowledge fm school when we were allowed to mask up a popular classmate!! and first increase their co2 intake and watch them pant away then using a quicklime co2 absorber, watch them pass out as there was no co2 present and they faint, but breathe air again and they come round nice and quick:) however they do look daft falling over! Dont think schools are allowed to do this now for fear of prosecution, times are changing for the worse imho

your mate might want to review wearing a co detector to prevent an early death.

Thanks for that info, definitely good to know. Wouldn't have liked to be popular in your school though!!
I was confused tbh when he said to someone it's co2 that's a problem now more than co!! He's been in the trade all his life and due to retire so i didn't question it too much thought he might have known something I didn't.

Thanks for that info, definitely good to know. Wouldn't have liked to be popular in your school though!!
I was confused tbh when he said to someone it's co2 that's a problem now more than co!! He's been in the trade all his life and due to retire so i didn't question it too much thought he might have known something I didn't.

damm being popular in my old school, its when you were unpopular that life could be hard!!!!!!!!, I just kept the old head down for a few years, and left being neither loved or loathed, prepared for life on a site:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a crowcon T3 gas personal alarm from eBay few weeks ago first job I took it to went off found over Co over 40ppm in upstairs bedroom coming from downstairs back boiler ... Was beeping like mad and lights flashing. Worth having as you don't really take your analyser everywhere with you.

I use one and its important not to consider a standard CO alarm as a personal alarm. Personal alarms are designed to react immediately to increased levels of CO where as standard alarms calculate the measurement on a time weighted average. You could therefore be in levels higher than 30ppm for 90 minutes without knowing it for example!!

Only advice i will give on which one is get one without a readout as they generally need calibrating. I use a crowcon.

As we all know CO is the danger you guys face, not CO2.
And Co is always more dangerous than CO2 in the levels that can build up in a home. CO2 over 8%, -

To some extent he may have a point -
I have been reading the research about flueless gas fires. In normal use Co spillage is small, ie within safe levels.
CO2 and NO2 both quickly exceed indoor air quality guidelines....
Ok for health adults but not good for kids, sick people, asthma, breathing problems...
I am writing this up into a book on Gas fires and will let any GSR have it through this site for free. But be patient. It will be finished in a few weeks.

In fact, if there is any GSR engineer who IS qualified/knowledgeable about Gas fires and willing to read through a draft copy or talk through some of the details please PM me.

CO2 is a good early warning of CO and it is sometimes used in incident investigations. CO2 is also used as a indicator in non-domestic sites such as commercial catering installations and direct fired equipment to see if CO will be present. Typically a maximum reading in atmosphere of 2800ppm CO2 is allowed. Important thing to remember if measuring for CO2 in atmosphere is that the analyser needs to be direct reading and not one that extrapolates the reading from oxygen and CO readings, such as with most FGA's.

CO2 is not poisonous, Its the lack of O2 in atmosphere with high levels of CO2 which will give you a light headed feeling. Normaly this will only occurr if there is combustion and the O2 has been depleted in which case there will be high levels of CO as well, so thats why CO detector is the important device to have.

I don't know about using your gas analysing equipment, of course, I am not GSR.

I can tell you normal air has about 350-400 ppm co2.
Acceptable longer term indoor levels may be as high as 1,000-1,500 or even higher.
Symptoms of deeper & faster breathing when at rest occur at levels of about 20,000 - 30,000 ppm.
5,000 ppm is set as workplace max level of exposure...
50,000 can be toxic

there should be a man on here doing work with us that should confirm last week i made him 2 brews on a job , on my site everyone's equal , chinese parliament so long as they agree with me
And they were very nice brews as well

You do realise he stirs it with his fingers immediately after giving his nads a good scratch?:)

CO2 is a good early warning of CO and it is sometimes used in incident investigations. CO2 is also used as a indicator in non-domestic sites such as commercial catering installations and direct fired equipment to see if CO will be present. Typically a maximum reading in atmosphere of 2800ppm CO2 is allowed. Important thing to remember if measuring for CO2 in atmosphere is that the analyser needs to be direct reading and not one that extrapolates the reading from oxygen and CO readings, such as with most FGA's.

Excessive CO2 is normaly a problem with diving, not our enviroment. If you get it, its called hypercapnia.

I don't know about using your gas analysing equipment, of course, I am not GSR.

I can tell you normal air has about 350-400 ppm co2.
Acceptable longer term indoor levels may be as high as 1,000-1,500 or even higher.
Symptoms of deeper & faster breathing when at rest occur at levels of about 20,000 - 30,000 ppm.
5,000 ppm is set as workplace max level of exposure...
50,000 can be toxic

BS 6230 commercial gas fired heaters allows up to 2.8% CO2 (2,800ppm) in atmosphere for direct fired air heaters, there is guidance in HSE document EH40 too, for exsposure limits.

BS 6230 commercial gas fired heaters allows up to 2.8% CO2 (2,800ppm) in atmosphere for direct fired air heaters, there is guidance in HSE document EH40 too, for exsposure limits.

That is a useful reference for me.
The 5000ppm is the 8 hour workplace limit in HSE document EH4 and is in similar documents in many other countries.
There are higher short term limits for those in relevant industries.

Interesting there are a few incidents with CO2 fire extinguishes in enclosed spaces.
It is the enclosed space that you have to watch out for.
People in wells or in submarines, in air craft.
I saw a great show using Dry Ice last week - but I think we were safe in a huge theatre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Personal co alarms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Am I the only one struggling to find appliances' manuals online? I know it's hard enough with cookers and old gas fires but I've just been unable...
Replies
Views
In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock