Search the forum,

Discuss Outside bib question in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am trying to stop an outdoor bib from leaking. Im assuming it is original to house, built in 1992. the handle is stripped and basically crumbling. i cant figure out if the whole valve is soldered on or if a small extention (.87) was soldered on (to .63) and the valve was screwed (or soldered) onto that. Im trying to avoid a catastrophe. if i take a pipe wrench (.87) and a open end wrench and try and unscrew it at the green circle, if i break it ill have to keep the water off to the house until its fixed, and that would totally suck. any ideas to getting this done? thanks.

Attachments

• Inkedvalve_LI.jpg
    Inkedvalve_LI.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 25
In the UK it is common practice to have a stopcock inside the house to isolate such garden taps. This is mainly for frost protection in winter but makes this sort of maintenance much easier.

I don't think that there is a zero-risk approach to this job. My advice would be to get a plumber to do it for you. The photo is not entirely clear but I suspect that you have some electrolytic corrosion going on there so ask the plumber whether the pipes and fittings are compatible materials and suitable for exterior use. Consider having an internal stopcock fitted while they're at it.

I've had to live in a house with no water for a couple of days recently and, call me soft if you wish, but I didn't enjoy the experience one bit. The advantage of using a plumber is obviously that if something does go wrong they'll be able to fix it then and there.

Not totally clear from photo how much pipe you have sticking out the wall to play with, so can you just cut the whole thing off and start again.

As Chuck says though you want an isolation valve inside. Guess that is probably in a tricky location, so unless you are confident, best get a professional in for a proper job.

Cheers,

Roy

Reply to Outside bib question in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
I live most of the year on a tiny Caribbean island with no mains water. I collect rain in a 25,000 gallon cistern which is then pumped to the taps. But the house is build against a hill top. My water system is as illustrated below enabling the domestic water and garden irrigation to be served...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm new here! I've bought my first house - needs a fair bit of work doing to it, including the plumbing. I'm keen to do stuff myself rather than getting contractors in, wherever possible, not just for cost, but also because I want to learn (a useful life skill surely!) I'll...
Replies
Views
I have a gate valve that shuts water off to outside hose bib, and it leaks through the valve stem when open. The valve was installed 25 years ago when the house was new, and is used seasonally to shut water off to the outside hose bib to prevent the hose bib from being damaged during winter...
Replies
Views
We have an outside tap that is about 50 years old and has just literally exploded. (Fortunately, I had already fitted an isolation valve when we moved in.) I am going to have to saw the tap off. This will leave too little copper pipe poking through the wall to fit a new tap. So I am going to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock