Discuss non paying customers ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_1979

Gas Engineer
how long is reasonable in your opinion to wait for payment?

Currently have around £1000 owing to me from various jobs. Some ranging a few weeks and some a week or so. Getting pretty sick and have sent a few emails without reply. I would just like to know what people do to escalate things and get people to actually pay without being to forward or threats. Any tips would be appreciated! Thinking I might have to physically go to their doors at this rate.

7 to 10 days max only people i let pay after i leave the job is customers i know will pay by bank transfer or always send a cheque any that you have more than 10 days i would phone them and chase them up, any that refuse to pay just sell the debt

Its a tricky one Scott , if its a customer you know and trust it isnt a problem , its the new ones that are the worst . I tend to send a very polite "reminder text " , after a 2/3 of those they get a visit .

Yeah I'm thinking 14 days is the cut off then I will have to turn up at their addresses. Time to get a bit harder with it and not trusting people so much. anyone use the apps to take card payments on your phone?? Might be a way to go with one off jobs

7 days max. You need to understand people expect getting things done on time and flawless, so you can expect that they pay after 7 days too. But as mentioned above, you can send a reminder politely. A lot of people trying to stretch that as long as possible in hope you will forget. I think 7 days a long enough to sort out the payment. Everything above that should be just with agencies etc..

how long is reasonable in your opinion to wait for payment?

What does it say in the Terms and Conditions that you got the customer to agree to and sign before you started work?

In the absence of an explicit agreement that 30 days is what the law defaults to:

Invoicing and taking payment from customers: Payment - obligations - GOV.UK

The same website includes details of what must be on an invoice for it to be valid. Don't fall into the trap of getting to court and have the customer get the case dismissed by arguing that they have not yet received a valid invoice.

IMO, every small business should get their accountant to review their T&Cs, invoice format, collections procedures, etc. from time to time. The risk of being put out of business by 'cash flow problems' is too high to guess at this stuff.

Adding a small (say 2 or 3%) prompt payment discount for settlement received within 10 days can work wonders.

Last edited:
I expect final payment within 7 to 10 days and i collect stage payments as i go on larger jobs that way your only risking a smallish amount . Cheers Kop

I wouldn't want to admit how long I have been out full payment of some jobs.
I heard it said that if you have to call at a non paying customers house hoping for money, then try to call when they have guests there some evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to non paying customers ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Love
Hi ladies and gents, Just thought I'd give you a laugh. As some of you are aware, I'm currently the owner of a newsagent's shop out in the...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Well, this is a new one on me. Has anyone got any thoughts on the following? I completed a bathroom job and invoiced for the last portion of...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this is a success or a fail or just a rant but We do have heat and hot water now So all started the evening of Friday the 12th (Nov)...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock