Discuss Noise on my water pipes whenever neighbours use water (Shared main) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its possible that a restriction on the neighbors incoming water main i.e. isolation valve partly turned off is causing the noise, but you would hear it in their property as well.

You can't cut off your neighbors supply.

Try your local water company, ask if someone is able to come and listen to the noise from the water main and you are concerned there may be a leak, they are usually helpful.

An update here: the council have been back out to next door and found their stopcock in the garden to be leaking and say that is what is probably causing it.

Does that sound right?

It will take a week or so for them to dig it out to fix and said if it's not that then it must be my stop tap which found in the back garden.

Normally a leak on an underground water main will make a continuous noise.

If its just the stopcock leaking, could it mean something inside the tap is rattling or air is getting into the pipe?

The main noise has now stopped WOOOOOOOOP. :sorcerer:

90% of the noise from next door is now gone, and the 'drilling noise' that got has gone completely from being heard through all my pipes.

I decided to have my external stop tap replaced as believed it could have been caused by that, cant say for definate what solved the problem but during the changing of the stop tap, the lead pipe sprung a leak so had to get a few metre stretch of it replaced to plastic, and a new external stop tap and its been no where near as bad since (keeps fingers crossed)

Now I dont have the noise blaring out of my pipes I can hear more through the wall and come to a conclusion (correct me if think im wrong)... I can faintly hear the 'drilling and gushing noise' through the wall thats obviously in next doors pipework (dismisses the claim that they cant hear anything when i asked them as its loud in their house) and think with the changing a section of the pipe to plastic, it is absorbing the vibration and not transmitting it through to my pipework.

I can still hear a flowing noise at times, but put that down to it being on a shared main and dont think there is anything I can do about it - unless anyone here has any ideas? Very occasionally get a slight thud when they turn off their tap. but nothing anywhere as near as loud as what I had to endure before.

glad you seem to have sorted your problems. the thud as they close a tap sounds like water hammer which could be sorted by them slightly closing their internal stopcock slightly.

I may as well just wish for a winning lottery ticket as they dont seem to care about anything... I have a water shock arrestor that I put on a while ago and took off when the noise was sorted - might put it back on by my stopcock and see if it makes a difference..

If move house, ill never goto live in one with a shared main after all this

thanks for the update, glad your sorted

anytime, after people on here took time to give some help its least can do by giving an update even though has been a while since started the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noise on my water pipes whenever neighbours use water (Shared main) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a question, I want my flat to be separately connected to the mains water supply for water coming into my kitchen and bathroom instead of...
Replies
Views
Hello, purchased a house in February this year and for a few weeks, noticed a loud banging noise which sounds like it is coming from under my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock