Search the forum,

Discuss New build house 3 joists together notch or drill? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a 3 floor new build house to first fix that at two places on each floor there are 3 joists but up together. I think due to the staircase. Would/ has any one drilled through with an angled drill 3 joists in a row? Or the other option would be notching But I hear there is strict guildlines to were you can and can't notch? Any advice on this would be helpful, thanks.

Hi, I have a 3 floor new build house to first fix that at two places on each floor there are 3 joists but up together. I think due to the staircase. Would/ has any one drilled through with an angled drill 3 joists in a row? Or the other option would be notching But I hear there is strict guildlines to were you can and can't notch? Any advice on this would be helpful, thanks.

if its a new build you've probably got engineering joist with flanges, you should NEVER notch or cut the flanges, i often drill through 3 sometimes 4 joists together, just need an extension bar for your driver and bit. So drilling is fine just leave double the diameter of the hole size between holes.

Thanks no they are standard 3inch by 8inch joists. So can be drilled with an angled drilled and extension bits? Is notching un-advised then, would be a pain having to get in before the floor is down.

How do you get on with the engineering joists if the pre-made knock out holes are a fair bit out? Just bend the plastic?

How do you get on with the engineering joists if the pre-made knock out holes are a fair bit out? Just bend the plastic?

yea drill them defo, i 1st fix using my 18v combi and auger bits find it quicker than using an angle drill. With regards to pre drilled joists sometimes you can pull a set in your speed fit to tidy it up a bit. Usually the chippys put some joists the wrong way round so some holes are on the other side of the house lol.
also if your getting materials i always go for hep stuff

on the knockout joists you can drill a hole where you want, dont need to use the knock outs marks.
mark the center of your next hole 3x dia of largest hole away from each other on standard joists and stick to the 0.25-0.4 drill zone in the center and you will be fine.
wastes pipes should not be drilled through the joists.

notching is fine on standard joists if it the correct zone, but not done on most new builds now as its not suited to plastic pipe work and flooring is glued down, gets damaged when lifted and its takes ages to battern and refit the floor afterwards.

Last edited:
on the knockout joists you can drill a hole where you want, dont need to use the knock outs marks.
mark the center of your next hole 3x dia of largest hole away from each other on standard joists and stick to the 0.25-0.4 drill zone in the center and you will be fine.

notching is fine on standard joists if it the correct zone, but not done on most new builds now as its not suited to plastic pipe work and flooring is glued down, gets damaged when lifted and its takes ages to battern and refit the floor afterwards.

Thanks could you explain the 0.25-0.4 drill zone please?

I thought u couldn't bore double or triple joists but I might be wrong. Certainly the site I've recently finished NHBC stipulated that no double joists were to be bored . The NHBC rep let me off as wouldn't have been possible another way . So it's maybe just there stipulation n not a reg.

I thought u couldn't bore double or triple joists but I might be wrong. Certainly the site I've recently finished NHBC stipulated that no double joists were to be bored . The NHBC rep let me off as wouldn't have been possible another way . So it's maybe just there stipulation n not a reg.
Anyone else heard you can't drill double or triple joists?

Sure I'd read on the engineered joists that have knock out holes you couldn't drill holes. I'll have to see if I can have a word with one of the inspectors I guess.

Sure I'd read on the engineered joists that have knock out holes you couldn't drill holes. I'll have to see if I can have a word with one of the inspectors I guess.

Ask the manufacturer of the joists (prefab) soon let you know what you can/can't do.

Thanks I will. Has anyone heard as stated above that 3 joists butt up to each other can't be drilled? Is it best of consulting the building inspector before doing any drilling/ notching?

Thanks I will. Has anyone heard as stated above that 3 joists butt up to each other can't be drilled? Is it best of consulting the building inspector before doing any drilling/ notching?

we've never had any trouble off site managers (taylor wimpey,persimmon,charles church,barrats,gravan, bellway etc) for drilling doubles or triples. only place we've told not drill holes is upright stud clusters on timber frames and the big 10 x 3 (or whatever) joists that bear more load than the others.

Thanks if the first floor joists sit on supporting wall downstairs does this effect the measurements of the span of the joist?

Thanks if the first floor joists sit on supporting wall downstairs does this effect the measurements of the span of the joist?

yea it does, the span of a joist is measured from the inside edge to inside edge of its supporting walls

You can run soil and ducting through them if you need but always check the manufacturers guides.

normally ok to do, but if theres somebody to ask then best to do so, especially on timber framed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New build house 3 joists together notch or drill? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock