Discuss New Boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sp25

Dear all,
My boiler has given up few months ago and urgently in need of a new boiler. It'a very big decision as its a huge amount and i want to be able to install a reliable one. Having suffered with no heating/hot water i am very cautious esp as i have a little baby.

I have narrowed it down to Baxi platinum HE28 A. It was a tough choice between Baxi, Vaillant Ecotech Pro & Vaillant Ecotech Plus.

I am not sure which is the best as there seems to be lots of brands and also mixed opinions. However, I was hoping you could share your expert opinions please.

Thanks in advance.

To be honest I started as a complete novice to everything but saw how badly people were being treated by tradesmen and their attitudes at the time as a 19 year old .
Asked when I was stuck never been afraid to ask although you soon learn half the so called experts are numpties wearing blinkers !
Started getting asked to do building work and thought why the hell not ,used the right guys that were hungry and keen ,19 and driving a brand new Hilux and owning a new Mini excavator , out at 4.30 am digging graves before starting normal work ! all on the never never , Got a call one day to be at a customers house at 8.0clock in the morning for a bunch of stuck up landscape designers !
Anyway a £100 job turned into millions of pounds worth of work as the client loved my attitude and ability to think out side the box and yes plenty of sucking up too !

Thanks Basildog,
Absolutely love your attitude and work ethic! Your hard work and determination seems to have paid off and its nice to hear inspiring life stories such as yours! I have had a fair share of climbing up the ladder too with my hard work. Started with almost nothing but determination to succeed by working hard and a smile on my face. I have finally got into a career i love. Still got a long way to go and people like you motivate many like myself..thanks for sharing!

Wish you the very best with everything :)

I am a bad man.

What i'm trying to say is I think possibly you're over-thinking this. This earlier post was what gave me that impression the most:

You rang Baxi 4 times?

I get it. You want the best boiler for your money. If I hadn't have had hot water/heating for 3 months and a baby, i'd have gotten 3 quotes as quickly as possible from word of mouth recommendations and taken recommendations from friends /family and respective installers, made a decision quickly and gotten heating & hot water in the property as fast as possible. It's not hard. Not ring Baxi 4 times etc with queries you could settle much more quickly by getting a GSR around to the house.

If this is the amount of research and time you're spending just on the boiler, you should be spending 5 times that researching your installer.

Lets hope you get it in by next xmas eh?

Lol..im sure you're not!

All well with your advice if you have about £2k in your bank account or if you're blessed with rich family and friends ;-)

Each time i spoke to Baxi was about a different matter - requesting for info not available on their website...each time i parted with them much more knowledgeable about their model, service, guarantee etc., so it was worth getting all that info straight from them rather than assuming things. If I had known all the questions i was to ask them beforehand it would have been a single call...but sometimes u come across something which you haven't known before..

Installer has also been researched. Bumped into an installer, got them to come and give a quote and they were not pushy...read about them on independent website on their customer feedback etc., so fingers crossed they'll be good.. otherwise will rant here with their names in few weeks time!

yes, installation fixed just in time for xmas! looking forward to a warm and cosy Christmas! yay!

Did you do this much research when picking the wife ? :love:

Of course I did.. as it's lifetime investment! You're very smart enough to have figured that out! ;-)

I know for sure now that my relationship is built on great foundation...im confident it'll be hassle free and less repairs will be required ;-0)

:)

Thanks everyone,
Yes will keep you updated on how the install goes next week!

Confirming with Baxi Platinum HEA28 today!

1) Can you please recommend a good/reliable/(reasonable) thermostat? timer controller for the Baxi please.

I currently have a honeywell thermostat (dial with temperature in degrees) wired into the hallway (away from the boiler). It still works i believe as i used to use it with my old Glowworm 80e. Although this thermostat was used to adjust the temperature i mostly used the integrated timer in the boiler itself for water temp, radiator temp, timer etc.,

However, i prefer not to touch the boiler ever if possible after the initial set up. I want to be able to control the timer set up from the hallway or elsewhere without needing to go to the boiler. I want to be able to do regular adjustments of in/out of the house thingy with the thermostat if possible...prefer a seven day one if its reasonable.

the closest i found was Baxi wireless 7 day programmable thermostat nearing £100. Any equivalent or better models - please advice.

2) Is it possible to use the same wires from my current thermostat to the new 7 day one as i prefer wired than wireless due to the boiler being in kitchen and thermostat wire being in hallway and any potential wireless issues.

3) Would you recommend going for the weather sensor? My worry is that if this gadget has an error i should be able to override it as i have read horror stories of sensor not working and then boiler relying on it to start!

Easiest is to set the timings in the integrated timer in the boiler and save my hard earned money by using the existing honeywell dialer which still works!

Please share your opinions.. :)

Thanks,

Why don`t you ask your installer what he finds the best after all he is the man fitting and maintaining it all.

Why don`t you ask your installer what he finds the best after all he is the man fitting and maintaining it all.
Thanks, yes will be asking him too but want to get opinions from other GSR's as they will be working with a wide range of models and may know of compatible models that will fit Baxi.

Sp25 let us know how the install goes.
Dear all,
Baxi Platinum HE28A was installed just in time for Christmas!

Thanks for all your advice, suggestions and recommendations of Boilers.

Have decided to go with Salus RT500 thermostat but got to be installed after the holidays.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!

Best wishes,

Dear all,
Baxi Platinum HE28A was installed just in time for Christmas!

Thanks for all your advice, suggestions and recommendations of Boilers.

Have decided to go with Salus RT500 thermostat but got to be installed after the holidays.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!

Best wishes,

i doubt if the salus came top of a which poll

i doubt if the salus came top of a which poll

It didn't, but Salus RT500 came with a good recommendation from the GSR who apparently had it installed in his home and had it with no trouble and sees it everywhere..

Talked through with him regarding my requirements, watched demo video, read amazon reviews (175 views #1 bestseller?)...most of all a wifi control with 7 day thermostat without breaking your budget and havent received a negative review from a GSR yet! ;-)

:)

Ideal Vogue every time.

Similar to a Vaillant in design but better value. More economical then any of the above. 10 year warranty and it looks pretty.

Bigger isn't always better, especially for combi's. The difference between a 28kw and a 24kw as far as hot water is concerned is about 2 mins longer to run a full (100 litre) bath, assuming you add no cold. The difference is the bigger the boiler the less chance you have of reducing short cycling on heating.

Hot water = approx 30% of your fuel bill
Heating = approx 70%

So the savings are in the heating and the way the system is designed, not how fast you can run a hot tap.

For a few extra quid you could add weather compensation and further increase the efficiency.
i agree with this ^ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock