Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler installation - bricking up old flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markymanc

New boiler fitted, part of the install was to brick up the old flue, prior to the job starting the plumber asked;

'Do you have matching bricks for the hole that will be left, or he can bring his own but they won't match the colour of your house bricks'

My reply - 'Bring bricks anyhow, but I'll try and get some'. Seems quite clear the job involved bricking up the old flue

This is what has been done, advice please! Is this a suitable fix? This is concrete with lines drawn in to look like bricks. The fitter has since stated 'Well, I'm not a brick layer'

I've since been quoted £275 from a brick layer to put right

4959595_169e143f2a.jpg20161031_153522.jpg

That is brilliant!!! Sorry to mock but that's awful. One of those you have to laugh or you'll cry moments

If he's not a bricklayer then he shouldn't mess with brickwork.

This must me the first ever floorstanding to wall mounted he's had to do.

He needs to find himself a bricklayer for future jobs.

P.S it's not concrete it's mortar, it'll fall out eventually with frost and rain attacking it.

You could find a local graffiti artist and see if they could do something with it.

Last edited:
Wow
I hope the plumbing is better, pictures please!!

It looks like he's thrown it off a shovel at your wall.

This is one of the differences between prices on jobs.

Just out of curiosity, did you choose the cheapest price ?

I know we like to take the mick but the prv and the level condensate look a bit suss that said he put more clips on than I do

On a more serious note, I would ask him nicely to replace those and make it good.
If he was not up to doing it correctly, he should have allowed for a bricklayer to do it.

My 7 year old grandaughter would do a better job , Sorry !!

Here's a close up of the consendate pipe

20161031_063453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks a bit ropey to say the least, especially as he said he would be using bricks. Really should have used black pipe on the condense run externally as well to match the soil stack if I am being picky.

That looks a bit ropey to say the least, especially as he said he would be using bricks. Really should have used black pipe on the condense run externally as well to match the soil stack if I am being picky.
Every extremal pipe is black apart from this one

Same. That's not picky, it's professionalism.

What a Bodge up...

Looks like the condensate has just been pushed into the 4" soil stack as I can't see a strap on boss connector?, maybe just siliconed in lol...

Very lazy to use white, probs saved buying some new pipe & fittings... Same lazy excuse with the flue!

Looks a mess, along with the fact the condensate is in white when everything else is black. I'd get him back - as bricking up is part of the job and an attempt to get matching bricks should be made.

New boiler fitted, part of the install was to brick up the old flue, prior to the job starting the plumber asked;

'Do you have matching bricks for the hole that will be left, or he can bring his own but they won't match the colour of your house bricks'

My reply - 'Bring bricks anyhow, but I'll try and get some'. Seems quite clear the job involved bricking up the old flue

This is what has been done, advice please! Is this a suitable fix? This is concrete with lines drawn in to look like bricks. The fitter has since stated 'Well, I'm not a brick layer'

I've since been quoted £275 from a brick layer to put right

View attachment 27888View attachment 27889

275 from a bricklayer to put right... Seems a lot for half dozen bricks & some mortar! Shouldn't take too long!

What a Bodge up...

Looks like the condensate has just been pushed into the 4" soil stack as I can't see a strap on boss connector?, maybe just siliconed in lol...

Very lazy to use white, probs saved buying some new pipe & fittings... Same lazy excuse with the flue!

It has been siliconed in - there is NO strap on boss, I've queried this and been informed it's down to "personal preference when to use"

I thought it was quite expensive too, however this is the 1st quote I've been given

I thought it was quite expensive too, however this is the 1st quote I've been given

You need to get the installer back to brick it up which is what he agreed to do according to your previous statement. Even if you yourself go to a yard and spend a few pence on the right bricks, it'll be worth it as clearly it isn't something he's bother with, that's if you want him back of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler installation - bricking up old flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock