Discuss New Boiler install - holes left in brick work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
Questions about finishing.
Mother-in-law, in late 60's had a new boiler fitted replacing 1970's one.
generally seems a good install, but where old boiler fle existed at knee height there is now a big hole, with the condensate pipe running through it balanced on a few bricks. Also there was a metal vent high up, (previously air into old boiler?) which the new flu runs out of.
see attached photos.
when i had a very brief call to plumber he said wasn't in his quote and we needed to get a builder in to brick up both holes.
1) is this normal - not making good after a new install. (would you not even mention it?
2) is it actually against the regs as couldn't the flu gases come straight back into the house?
Thoughts and comments please.

Flu in.JPG

flu out.JPG

old flu in.JPG

old flu out.JPG

Hello.
thanks for all comments.
the plumber came back without any hesitation to fix most things i'd asked for (including, mounting expansion tank and insulating pipes, etc).
He didn't brick up the holes though. However after another phone call he has agreed to brick it up (hopefully it'll be a decent job)
He hasn't put his final bill in and he actually offered to subtract ~£200 until the brick work was done.
I have to say i was very close to asking him to do it once and then just phoning gas safe.
For those interested the total will be ~£7,800, which includes fitting the boiler for a 19 radiator system, converting hot water and central heating systems to pressurised systems (both previously open vented). the hot water cylinder has changed from a 120ltr to a 250ltr and he reinforced the floor (though i supplied the 18mm ply). The cylinder is also connected to economy severn and the whole system is controlled with a nest controller.
I got the impression he is reasonably competent and hard working, but it took him about 15-18days, with a lot of 5 or 6 hr days - guessing he was going to break downs / higher paid small jobs.
Where the 19 rads changed also?

Is this individual a building site plumber by any chance?
They do tend to leave things to 'others' such as the bricky, the spark, the labourer. Not that I am defending this workmanship, it is horrendous and irritates the hell out of me because these are the type of brain donors we all lose out to when pricing a job.
leaving to others is one thing but commisioning and certificating before that is done is real bad, especially when there are no 'others' on site.

The worst thing is that, given that some of the pipework (for example the tidy parallel pulled bends in the first photo) is actually quite good, it seems that this installer does actually know how to work to a good standard.
Regarding making good, plastering and painting can be a grey area, but leaving a hole in the wall, particularly when in close proximity to a boiler flue is neither acceptable, nor safe.
The installer of a boiler is required to carry out work to the standards imposed by legislation and by the boiler manufacturer. Being a registered and qualified installer, he has shown that he is aware of this. If he's going to charge gas installer rates (which he clearly has), he needs to work to the appropriate standards. What he has done is contempt for the customer - he happily took the money but was going to leave that job half finished and see if he could get away with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Boiler install - holes left in brick work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back