Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy landlord /house seller not having correct certs in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

In Brief !!

About to purchase a 2 bed apartment that was let out for the last 2 years and the landlord has done a full refurb .

During a visit a neighbour came over as we left and informed us that The previous tenant had complained no Gas safe landlord cert was issued to her during her tenancy etc .And the guys who refurbed the place made cowboys look good .

I have now found out that luckily the previous tenant has photographs taken of the state of the place on her moving out day .These clearly show the current boiler in a different position .This is confirmed by the old flu position showing outside .Its been bricked up etc but obvious . Ive asked the seller for a "New install cert" (and a cert for the electrics as there are now new circuits and a consumer board ) .He states the boiler just needs a annual gas safe cert as it was not moved. I spoke to "Gas safe " this morning ....about a hours wait to get through ! And they have no record of a install cert or any landlord certs issued for the last 2 years .

IS IT POSSIBLE that "Gas safe" dont have to be informed ? And only a building control company needs to be supplied with certs ? The install was carried out oct/nov 2021 . And if this turns out to be a iffy seller , which so far rings true .Can this be reported etc ? Thank you

I would want my / an independent gas engineer to check the whole system also same with sparks depending how far your willing / if you want it might be worth a dodge

Ive sent the estate agent a email notifying them of my concerns and also making them aware.The owner can either send over copies of the certs and those certs to be double checked as "gas safe " said they smell something iffy . And to also have a answer about if it was council or private building control involved ? . If I am correct then we would be looking at seriously either getting the book thrown at him or having some serious money off the asking price to cover any works .Not interested in these "Insurance " things the lawyers recommend . If I am correct and we bail out .... Ive a feeling the estate agents will bin the property .

You'll struggle to get the book thrown at anybody.

Failing to register a new boiler or new Consumer unit is a Building Regs issue and would be for the Local Authority to pursue.
They're unlikely to want to spend what could be 10's of thousands of pounds unless there is strong evidence to prove an offence and death or serious injury is involved.

The buyer's Solicitor should already have asked the seller's Solicitor to confirm if any notifiable work has been done and if so to provide the appropriate certificates.
The Seller / Landord will have had to sign the questionaire to confirm yes or no to work done, that's the only evidence you'll get implicating them.

As Shaun has said get a full inspection of the heating / water and electrical installation done and if they suggest there are defects go for a price reduction.
What about windows, have they been replaced, they're notifiable as well.

However if the market is boyant / rising and the seller knows there are defects they'll likely refuse to let your inspections go ahead, drop you and go for a sale to someone else.

You'll struggle to get the book thrown at anybody.

Failing to register a new boiler or new Consumer unit is a Building Regs issue and would be for the Local Authority to pursue.
They're unlikely to want to spend what could be 10's of thousands of pounds unless there is strong evidence to prove an offence and death or serious injury is involved.

The buyer's Solicitor should already have asked the seller's Solicitor to confirm if any notifiable work has been done and if so to provide the appropriate certificates.
The Seller / Landord will have had to sign the questionaire to confirm yes or no to work done, that's the only evidence you'll get implicating them.

As Shaun has said get a full inspection of the heating / water and electrical installation done and if they suggest there are defects go for a price reduction.
What about windows, have they been replaced, they're notifiable as well.

However if the market is boyant / rising and the seller knows there are defects they'll likely refuse to let your inspections go ahead, drop you and go for a sale to someone else.
cheers

If they did register it with BC or a Private BC company .Would it still not show up on the gas Safe portal ?? If this turns out to all be dodgy. then what is the point of scheme that is not "policed " ?

Sellers market at the minute.

If you're a serious buyer then get it inspected. But from what you've said walk away.

Yes it should have been notified, but even being notified is not guaranteeing a good installation these days.

As above unless it's obviously dangerous or somebody is injured or killed then you'll get nowhere with gas safe or building control.

I used to be Oftec registered for oil, not anymore, I'll not go on because they really boil my pish.

Gas Safe have limited powers and they act on complaints. They have no right of entry and are appointed by the HSE to manage the gas safe register

If the tenants were to complain and invite gas safe into the house they may well do an inspection. Failure to provide accommodation to a certain standards will attract interest from local government agencies but it's not gas safe that will prosecute. There was a time when gas safe engineers could RIDDOR landlords for poor maintenance....the conservatives put a stop to that , maybe something to do with most of them being in property.

Reply to Dodgy landlord /house seller not having correct certs in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock