Discuss Netaheat Profile 50E....anyone give me a rough idea how much this will cost? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fairylights

Hi everyone,

I am not a heating engineer but have recently moved into a property with this boiler/system. I have posted previously about this as have had lots of problem with the system and have so far spent £500 because of it. Last work carried out was around 6wks ago when it was left in full working condition, with possible faulty Pressure Release/Relief? Valve.

I joined British Gas breakdown 2 wks ago and had to call them out this morning due to the boiler screeching at me when it reached the end of programmed time. Pump over running for around an hour, so engineer was left to check over system etc.

Engineer called me to boiler after an hour and pointed to the 'pilot' light, but said no its a gas leak as this system doesnt have a pilot light.

Anyway, he has disconnected the gas and stated its dangerous, (not querying that as it obviously cannot be left like this). He also said there were other problems and it also needs a new pump, boiler stat, pump overrun stat, pressure reducing valve, TPRV & PRV required (details copied from report).

Apparently none of this work is covered by the breakdown contract as this was a 'first visit' and until the boiler is up to scratch, then I can use the contract. Always a catch, but expect its there in the small print somewhere.

Engineer states the work will cost aprox £900.....not acceptable to me and just for parts etc and to be honest, I would probably be better off buying a new boiler if I am going to have to keep spending money.

Opions please on what you think is the best way forward for me...I have another gas engineer coming out on Monday morning for a second opinion.

Thank you :)

What on earth have you spent £500 on so far??

For a start the boiler does have a pilot albeit not permanent.

The boiler and pump overrun thermostats are combined into one unit.

You may have a PRV on the system but a TPRV is fitted to an unvented cylinder not this boiler.

I think your BG 'engineer' didn't know what he was talking about (really?) and instead fed you a load of mushroom fertiliser.

See what Monday brings and try not to fall for flashy television advertising so readily in the future.

Might have been a idea to have got an engineer from this forum before BG, at least their advice would have been genuine because their reputation would be at stake!
MM

Post in the looking for plumber. I would come round and sort it for you if your local

Ok Fairylights
It's now Monday evening and your engineer should have been and diagnosed your problems.
Please share your information with us...

Ok Fairylights
It's now Monday evening and your engineer should have been and diagnosed your problems.
Please share your information with us...

Hi everyone,

Apologies as I forgot to get back and report whats been going on.

Firstly, the local heating engineer that has been attending to/working on the boiler since moving into the property, was actually the third plumber/engineer I have had out to look at this boiler. All have quoted me around the same price, I do have reservations about his charges and it is him that has charged me this amount so far for the work carried out, hence me joining BG breakdown (previously belonged to them a few years ago) as I thought it would be cheaper in the long run to keep the boiler up and running and regularly serviced. Nothing to do with signing up because of tv adverts promising this that and the other.

I didnt believe the BG engineers report and I expressed this to him quite strongly, but he said if I refused to allow him to disconnect the gas, he would call TRANSCO who would come out and disconnect from the road?!!

So, I asked this local engineer to come back and get me reconnected at a reasonable price and replace only the parts that needed doing! He came out on the 2nd April as arranged and has fitted a new pump, gas valve and boiler temperature thermostat control. For this he charged me £384 including VAT!!! I queried the price of the valve as most on-line companies charges were around £50-65 and even cheaper. The one he bought from his suppliers, I found the exact same one on eBay for only £35 (Honeywell from Tradeline) brand new, so why did he charge me £130?!!!

So in total i have now laid out £800+....His labour is £70 per hour and this is what I have been quoted by other plumbers (some higher) to work on the boiler.

I am extremely angry about the money I have been charged, but its a classic case of single female being taken for a mug....BG engineer had the audacity to state it happens all the time!!...not any more because I am now going to supply trading standards with all of the bills.

I am not a weak person being ex forces and actually took a heating engineer to court 4 years ago after he fitted a new boiler in my previous property...Trading Standards were over the moon with the outcome as he got a 5 figure fine.

I do however suffer from chronic ill health having a heart condition and because of also having suffered two previous strokes, it is very difficult for me to now deal with most things due to basically having brain damage, so I tend to try not to get into confrontational situations...but I shall certainly be complaining to the correct professional bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Netaheat Profile 50E....anyone give me a rough idea how much this will cost? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with...
Replies
Views
Hi guys trying to work out how much it costs to heat my water tank per hour, I have a Ideal logic system s30 boiler, my gas unit charge is 6.83...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know...
Replies
Views
Good day, I am not a plumber/heating engineer and don't don't tackle plumbing or electrics, having done a bit of both with variable success :)...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock