Search the forum,

Discuss Just to say Hi and give some info about my system in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Good day,
I am not a plumber/heating engineer and don't don't tackle plumbing or electrics, having done a bit of both with variable success :). But I am an avid researcher and like to understand how things work and get the best out of them. The Glowworm Combi boiler that was in my small 2 bed house when I moved in 4 years ago died just before Christmas, and I was going to go for a Viessmann, but the heating engineer who was recommended to me said he always stuck with Baxi, so ended up with a 800 combi boiler, which seems OK.
I also decided I wanted smart heating controls, the heating engineer recommended the Honeywell Evo system, but after researching decided to go for the Drayton Wiser system, so got the exiting wall mounted room stat replaced with the single channel hub, and had TRVs put on the 2 rads that didn't have them. I also ran OpenTherm cable from the hub to the boiler, but haven't had it connected, and may not after mixed reviews.
I am VERY impressed with the Drayton Wiser system and have tweaked the schedule/temperatures of the 3 upstairs & 3 downstairs radiator thermostats to get it how I want. The cold snap before Christmas made me aware that the part of the lounge that I sit does not get warm enough with the double rad at the back of the dining area, so I'm going to get another rad at the front. It's a microbore system with what looks like a single pipe system and manifold upstairs and downstairs.
I'm a bit of a geek, and update a spreadsheet, partly automatically, with smart meter, Calorific Value, heating system, temperature sensor and live monitoring smart plug readings. Unfortunately I can't get any data from the boiler, wish I'd have gone for the Viessmann now :).

I'm a bit of a geek, and update a spreadsheet, partly automatically, with smart meter, Calorific Value, heating system, temperature sensor and live monitoring smart plug readings. Unfortunately I can't get any data from the boiler, wish I'd have gone for the Viessmann now :).

No offense intended Dave - so please don't take any.

But.....

If a customer said something like the above to me, I would go to my van, grab a shovel and dig a hole for myself.

Saying that, we are doing a fairly big job at the moment where a 'Home Automisation' company are running hundreds of cables for the heating system and other systems.
I will now run some thermostat cables of my own - in case it goes pearshaped.

No offense intended Dave - so please don't take any.

But.....

If a customer said something like the above to me, I would go to my van, grab a shovel and dig a hole for myself.

Saying that, we are doing a fairly big job at the moment where a 'Home Automisation' company are running hundreds of cables for the heating system and other systems.
I will now run some thermostat cables of my own - in case it goes pearshaped.
None taken, why would you dig a hole for yourself? :)

I'm a bit of a geek, and update a spreadsheet, partly automatically, with smart meter, Calorific Value, heating system, temperature sensor and live monitoring smart plug readings. Unfortunately I can't get any data from the boiler:)
This is why!!!!

I'm a Plumber - I don't identify myself as a geek.

Updating spreadsheets, partially automatically - with smart meter -- totally beyond my expertees.
As for the next sentence - ....................

Then this one.....
Unfortunately I can't get any data from the boiler

Even the Baxi boiler is wondering why you didn't install a Veissmann.

This is why!!!!

I'm a Plumber - I don't identify myself as a geek.

Updating spreadsheets, partially automatically - with smart meter -- totally beyond my expertees.
As for the next sentence - ....................

Then this one.....

Even the Baxi boiler is wondering why you didn't install a Veissmann.
That's fine, we're all different. Have a great day :)

Reply to Just to say Hi and give some info about my system in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock