Discuss Need to know how to refill a rad after taking it off for cleaning. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nickjaxe

Hi all a few of the rads in my daughters house have cold spots along the bottom....we suspect sludge,

So if we turn off both taps on the rad and loosen the unions to let the water inside run out into a container....

After we finish flushing the rad what the correct method for refiling it...or does it fill automaticly....its an older type Worcester not sure what type,

We have a new Worcester condenser boiler and I know how to top that up to the 1.5 bar mark but not sure with other models.

Nick.

Just open the rad valves and open the bleed vent. It Will fill automatically. If the boiler is a combi you Will need to top the pressure up.

your daughters boiler will either have a larger version of the same key your boiler has or a filling loop. If its a filling loop and it is not present (should be removed) you can buy new from any merchant

1st I would run a cleaner through system for a week or more, then drain system, remove and flush rads refill adding an inhibitor, pointless just doing one rad ! rest of system will still be dirty, Look for a white plastic Key needed to top up pressure on older Worcesters, may find it under boiler behind plastic cover , unless very old worcester with bigger size Key, people tend to loose them. Reply with boiler model !!

Where would we put the cleaner into the system...is there a suitable place to pour it in,

Do we then just try and find the sys drain and let it empty into the garden ect,

I will find out about the boiler model.

Nick.

Ok just rang my daughter to ask the model of boiler...its a Worcester 19/24CBI...wonder how old that is...she has only just moved into the house,

Will that be a combi or a condensing boiler.

Towel rail if you have one, Close it off, drain a small amount of water out, remove bleed vent from top, poor in cleaner (F5) replace vent, open valves vent air, run in system for at least a week on high Temp then drain all of system flush with cleen water , you may still need to do each radiator depending how dirty the system is , refill adding an inhibitor (F1) if not then buy Fernox (F5 in can) this you inject into radiator (Read instructions)

Yes we have a towel rail...seen the vent with its big threaded union that it goes into,

Thanks for that.

19/24 CBi standerd boiler fed from small tank in roof, hot water cylinder, for get other replys turn off water part drain system, (Make sure small tank is empty) pore cleaner into small tank turn water back on and refill cleaner will be drawn into system how old is house ? may be 1st boiler fitted when house built.

To be quite honest i would have put sludge mobiliser in 1st and let it pump around
4 a week or so - then drain all the water out thro an MT cock at lowest place -then
repeat this a few times with mains water pressure.

Finally re-fill with water & inhibitor to 1.5 bar - all done

centralheatking

Forgot to add NO its not a combi and its NOT a condenser, around 10 to 14 years old.

Last edited:
Depends how well its been looked after, seen boilers couple of years old and a total mess, others over 30 years and running as good as new, why not get it serviced, then ask about cleaning system !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need to know how to refill a rad after taking it off for cleaning. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock