Search the forum,

Discuss My grant 70 mk 2 heating pressure is constantly increasing in pressure. I have changed the heat exchanger in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My grant 70 mk 2 heating pressure is constantly increasing in pressure. I have changed the heat exchanger as I believe that was the problem. Any ideas

The cost of plate heat exchangers I'd want more than a belief it's at fault.

Checked the filling loops not passing?

Is it rising when the boilers off?

Pressure vessel ok?

Pressure vessel hose not blocked?

What's the pressure when the boiler first fires up?
How fast does the pressure increase?
What's the pressure at it's highest when the boiler is on?
Is the Pressure relief discharging as the boiler is heating up or when the pressure is at it's max?
How fast does the pressure reduce?

Is the Expansion vessel suitably sized for the system and set to the correct precharge?

The E.vessel pre fill (air end) pressure should be 0.75bar with zero pressure at the water end, the filling valve should then be opened to give 1.25bar (cold system) , the pressure should then reach ~ 1.5 to 2 bar when system hot and will return to 1.25 bar when cold.

I'm fairly certain that model of grant should have a cold system pressure of between 0.5 bar to a max of 1 bar.
Expansion vessel pre charge 0.8 though later on in instructions tells you it should be 1 bar !
Remember that because it seemed a bit odd.

Grant used never give a pre charge pressure which was a bit daft as you have no water reserve to make up for tiny leaks etc without constant top ups but nearly always specified 1.0 bar filling, their PRVs are all set to 2.5 bar.
I set up a few neighbors to 0.75/1.25 bar and no problems in exceeding 2ish bar on heat up/

Ambiguous to say the least, it says pre-charged to 1 bar in one place and that the heating system vol is based on a "vessel charge and cold fill pressure of 0.5bar" in another reference.
By having the precharge&fill pressures the same means a much smaller vessel is needed, see my calcs below based on a average (of flow&return) of 65C. for a 50/90 with a 10 litre EV.

Its quite clear that the "temptation" is to have the precharge&fill pressures the same to avoid having to install a external EV especially since the boiler+stored vol of combis alone can be 40 litres, not so much a problem with the non combis with a boiler volume of 20/25 litres.

precharge/fill/final/system volume
0.5/0.5/0.86/106
1.0/1.0/1.48/106
0.5/1.0/1.70/106
0.75/1.25/2.0/106

Allowing final pressure of 2.2bar:
0.5/0.5/2.2/290
1.0/1.0/2.2/205
0.5/1.0/2.2/154
0.75/1.25/126

1635661965783.png

Last edited:

Reply to My grant 70 mk 2 heating pressure is constantly increasing in pressure. I have changed the heat exchanger in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock