Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Macerator Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got a customer with a macerator which runs from an en suite at the far end of the building into a loft space, then outside to a soil stack. The pipe froze up and they are wanting to re-route it inside the house under the floors. It is a Saniflo Plus unit draining basin, WC and shower. The run would be about 20m more or less horizontally.

The problem we have is the Saniflo booklet states a 1 in 100 fall and solvent weld 22mm pipes with slow bends. This would be impossible under the floors as

a, the most fall I could achieve is 1 in 200,
b, the pipe would have to go up and down over a steel beam about 2m from the saniflo,
c, the only pipe we could get in the space available and round the corners would be flexible polyplumb but the instructions say not to use push fit. I presume the reason behind this is the inserts snagging solid matter and causing blockages?
d, space constraints mean that some bends would have to be 90 degree elbows.

I am stumped. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Why not make sure the existing horizontal pipework in the loft space has a good gravity fall all the way to the soil pipe any exposed pipes are lagged properly.. also once you go over the top in the loft you can step up to 32mm pipe.
Push fit is not used as it could blow the pipe work apart with the associated mess involved also never try to pump downwards creating a trap in the pipes it overloads the pumps also when the machine has stoped pumping the contents seperate causing the pipework to block over time. By the way 22 mm pipe work required for the machines to work refers to the minimum inside diameter required not all pipe is equal !

If you use a continuous length of speedfit pipe hen there is no risk of a joint breaking as there arent any! Additionally if you then get a blockage you can stick a hydraulic tester on the saniflo end and pump it up to 10 bar to blow out a blockage and it wont burst, you certainly cant do that with 21.5mm glued waste. simples

The blockages are generally in the machine unless the pipework is full of 90 degree bends & has not been de burred properly or restricted joints caused by excessive glueing,
I suppose thats where Mr benuli's principal comes into play to really screw things up ...........
With one peice pipework thats fine as long as its supported in an appropriate manner to prevent it sagging and causing traps in the pipework that over time will block up I prefer 32 mm solvent weld or 22mm copper pipe but there you go.

The reason I said take it up in 22 mm copper and as you go over the top on the fall to the soil step up to 32mm is to create a break for the machine and make it easier for it to pump also syphonage helps to empty the machine and as long as the water trap in the machine & pan is not being sucked out thats good in my book.

You can always use your Aquavac to suck out any blockage in the discharge pipe.

I like George to suck up water, I prefer leaving customers opooh to them and not having the resultant stench in my van, not nice when you go to the next boiler service.lol

Didnt think Henrys liked to be wet ? Charlie is a better bet, Empty it down the bog & Clean the machine at the customers house after use and sanitize why carry customers cack around ugh !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will fit macerators new - no way I will do maintenance on them though (at least the poo chopping variety!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Macerator Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock