Discuss Looking for some advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Ninefingers

Hi guys,

Just wondering if some of you guys can offer me some advice regarding the British Gas Assessment day. I have applied for the Trainee Gas Engineer role, it takes a year to complete and I have my assessment next week after already completing the online assessment and telephone interview.

I have just left the forces (REME) so I'm coming from a completely Mechanical background, I know I'll have no issues with the course itself and I'm pretty confident of the assessment, although I know it wont be easy but I have confidence in my own abilities and the skill sets I can bring to the job. I've researched it a lot but would like to get opinions of guys in the know (that's you guys :smilewinkgrin:), you can never be too prepared.

I understand use probably get a lot of these, just looking to get some tips or useful information from guys who have been to the assessment or know of it. Also what life is like/what to expect working for British Gas as a Gas Engineer.

Cheers.

if you been in the reme, a bg assessment will be a breeze as youve probably had a career of retesting and learning to date. just expect to meet selling targets and wacking in magnetic filters then leave and work for yourself when you feel happy to do so

just be polite and tell them what they are wanting to hear. That you are willing to learn, a hard worker, have good interpersonal skills etc...... you know the usually stuff you get at interviews. your back ground will help but dont come across as somebody who knows it all as they may feel you will be hard to mold.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses, don't think it'll be a breeze but hopefully ill come across well! Have you ever worked for BG lame?

AW thanks for the sound advice, what the company are offering is everything I was looking for in my new career, I just want to learn...so I'm just hoping it all goes to plan as I'm desperate to land this job. This could be a big break for me and my family as the job I left the Forces for didn't work out.

Have either of you been on one of these assessments or know of anyone?

I applied for BG trainee position when i was an apprentice at another company. They would not left me attend the assessment day because i had already gain some of the qualifications they put you through and they only wanted engineers train there way. Probably thought id have picked up to many bad habbits from the company i worked for.

this was 18 years ago btw.

What details of the assessment do they send you?

wash your mouth out with soap immediately and never mention my name in the same post as bg's or you'll be calling yourself 4 fingers :). I only work for myself as having been in the forces, I cant cope with civvies and their ill disciplined habits, sadly Ive been out longer than i was in now. No offense to the rest of the team but manyana and next tuesday arent in my vocabulary. It was working with teachers in schools that really set me on the path to self employment not working with tradesmen, but anything to start some abusive comments:):)

Ah right, makes sense why they are willing to give me a chance then coming from a Mechanical background, already have technical ability but practically a blank slate they can mold.

Not much to be honest, said it would take 2 1/2 to 3 hours and would consist of a group exercise, another interview and a technical exam. Most of the information I have gathered on it seems to be pretty conflicting, I'm under the impression it will be some kind of customer focused/team work exercise though.

wash your mouth out with soap immediately and never mention my name in the same post as bg's or you'll be calling yourself 4 fingers :). I only work for myself as having been in the forces, I cant cope with civvies and their ill disciplined habits, sadly Ive been out longer than i was in now. No offense to the rest of the team but manyana and next tuesday arent in my vocabulary. It was working with teachers in schools that really set me on the path to self employment not working with tradesmen, but anything to start some abusive comments:):)

Hahaha my apologies, who did you serve with?

Also ill disciplined habits is an understatement! Do you find civvies work really slow or is it just me? :90:

Please do Ninefingers (Hope that isn't a an accurate description!)

Good luck Fella!

And no i never worked for BG either, Left school, debated joining the forces but got taken on by BT in their building engineering services division. I finished my apprenticeship capable of working on heating, vent, air con, lifts and generators!

Next time I'm down your way I'm going to hang about the lifeboat station until you show up then jab your gammy leg with a stick.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for some advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey, I'm a new entrant and I've just completed my 2 year training course and have my final week gas assessment next week. I was just looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am Aiden longster and I am looking for some plumbing work. I have just completed my level 2 diploma and either looking for a level 3...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock