Discuss Looking for a good log burning stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think an insurer could wiggle out of the payment by trying to use a non compliant controlled service installation as a loop hole to avoid writing the check when the fire was started by some other means. Malicious, smoking, cooking, unguarded fire etc etc for example.

Yes they can & most will, just ask your broker

People have still died. More will as they become more prolific. Then they will be regulated much like gas....
50 years ago solid fuel appliances were much more prolific and we survived without over regulation. I, like most others have a great regard for the Gas Regulations which is why I object to equating them to other forms of heating. Future additional regulation should be evidence based, not at the whim of vested interests. Meanwhile, more deaths are caused by chip pans.

I don't have home insurance so no point in asking him. But I'm not that worried if my home burns down. I'll just look on the bright side. No council tax to pay living in a pre fab.
But I don't agree.
Unless you can point to cases that you know off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and todays generation don't understand how to use them correctly. And many don't install them properly. The comparison I made with gas was nothing to do with appliances...I was just demonstrating that if you sign off, you're liable. Simple. I won't take that risk but others are happy to, that's your choice.

I think todays generation are well informed. They have the internet.

My Dad back in the eighties pulled down the two chimneys in his house to put S bends into the flue. Builders spent nearly a week at the process.
Someone told him the S bends would increase the length of the chimney and there fore increase the draught.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not scaremonger just because we have a vested interest, chimney fires are the biggest fire risk and that's down to a lack of maintenance NOT a poor installation which is why you can still DIY a stove install and get it signed off by BC.

Not scaremongering. Please get the facts right though. Bad maintenance is the most likely cause of a chimney fire but a bad installation CAN cause a chimney fire.

Why would anybody want to diy a stove install? Pay a quality, experienced professional. Might seem cheaper to diy but probably not in the long run.

People diy because its cheaper.
My Dad paid £300 for a stove and installed it himself where an open fire was previously.
That was about 8 years ago.

Experienced professional quoted daughter £1800 for flue liner install, not including closure plate, insulation or connection to stove. The quote was for 5" 316/316 and no attempt was made to explain options. The materials in the quote would have cost less than £120.
I installed 6" 904/904 fully insulated with cowl, closure plate and connection to stove at materials cost circa. £400. HETAS certs do not eliminate those content to work to minimum standards. Regulation is necessary, but current situation with recourse to BC is about right.
However, when I need a BC officer to supervise me sweeping my chimney things will have gone too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for a good log burning stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, my elderly mum has a MCZ stove for the past year-warranty up soon. It’s been extremely sensitive and has broken down numerous times. One of...
Replies
Views
B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
C
My parents house has a wood burning stove that is also connected to the central heating ( they have radiators and used to have an old boiler which...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a Logic Combi 30 gas boiler installed in my house. The wife and I would like to install a multi fuel stove with a back burner to...
Replies
Views
steve wake
S
N
Hey guys, I've searched the forum, but haven't found anything useful. I don't know the name of the thing I'm looking for, so I apologize in...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock