Search the forum,

Discuss Can I install a stove back boiler with a combi gas boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I have a Logic Combi 30 gas boiler installed in my house. The wife and I would like to install a multi fuel stove with a back burner to give us another option for central heating and hot water (especially with the current price of gas). With the pressurised system, is it possible to do this efficiently? I've done a little research and it seems a twin coil cylinder would be needed to accomplish this. My concern is however, that if the stove is not on, the gas system would be heating the hot water tank needlessly? If so, this would be the case right through the summer months that the stove would not be lit.

I'd really appreciate a little advice from someone with experience in trying to do this kind of thing.

You can with the right controls have your combi boiler heating one of the coils in the cylinder (on a timer) as well as being an instanteous water heater. You're correct though, the storage cylinder will need to be open vented if you're going to attach a back boiler to the remaining coil.

Anyway you do it is going to be expensive. I start by saying over 2k, which gets rid of the two tees and a bit of pipe brigade.

If you're serious then it can be done but you need somebody experienced who you can talk to about what you want and what are the pitfalls.

Hi , At the risk of hijacking this thread I am looking to do something similar .
Just had electric boiler , 18 solar panels and two batteries with the aim of being off grid for at least the summer months.
Electric boiler is expensive to run but we knew that , plus the oil boiler it replaced wasnt cheap anyway , plus the storage of the oil / risk of theft etc . We have an unvented cylinder with immersion thats 20 yrs old.
We have an existing wood burner and an empty fireplace that could fit an other in another room which we were thinking another log burner so why not one with a back boiler to add / work alongside the existing set up. I am aware if this is possible it wont be cheap but I get free wood from my business so zero wood costs and ongoing monthly running cost is the aim , located North Notts if anyone on here does this kind of thing ?

Reply to Can I install a stove back boiler with a combi gas boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock