Search the forum,

Discuss Lime scale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What are the best option's for clearing scaled up water outlets on the toilet pan?

(Clean water coming into the pan....rather than going out of the pan as it may of read )

All we do is get a bottle of plumbers grade de-scaler and then use a sponge or bog paper wetted
with the descale stuff and carefully wipe the scale away.

We Use a Sentinel product - works fine

centralheatking

Spirit of salts (wear gloves and mask etc)

*edit* link

Also good for cleaning paving and brickwork.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure what the UK name was but it's not caustic soda. It's damn strong stuff though, I googled it and added a link above.

Apparently it's;
DESCRIPTION:

Spirits of Salts is a hydrochloric acid solution containing 27% hydrogen chloride. Undiluted Spirits of Salts is a fuming liquid with a sharp acrid odour

Maybe swimming pool acid is similar, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Last edited:
of course it is, hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid not really good kit to walk into a customers house with or keep in your van, tends to remove flesh from bones really well.

acid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the photo :) Looks like something out of the Body World Exhibition I went to last month. I would imagine most plumbers grade descaling solutions are highly acidic regardless of the trade name on the bottle. I did caution to wear gloves, mask etc. Being water outlets in a toilet pan the OP wouldn't be able to soak it over time in vinegar so I'm at a loss for another solution to his problem.

No DO NOT use caustic soda - IT CAN EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE IF YOU DILUTE IT THE WRONG WAY - this is why we should buy some maunfactured products rather than try to undercut and save dosh :willy_nilly:
centralheatking
presume you mean caustic soda, left the victorian era a while back :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sentinel product (Fernox have one aswell DS3 ) BOTH WORK you do not need safety gloves or specs dont give off nasty vapours and they work so why not use them ? - instead of dreaming what you have never used -

My lot have been at this game 30 + years each and there are 10x of us on a good day - some of us from time to time are in re-hab/some in dementia/heart surgery/or going to funerals.

mind you - waitrose balsamic vinegar & sainsburys lemon juice concentrate is nearly as good

centralheatking
Thanks for the photo :) Looks like something out of the Body World Exhibition I went to last month. I would imagine most plumbers grade descaling solutions are highly acidic regardless of the trade name on the bottle. I did caution to wear gloves, mask etc. Being water outlets in a toilet pan the OP wouldn't be able to soak it over time in vinegar so I'm at a loss for another solution to his problem.

Got some stuff in a squirty bottle from PTS for toilets....seems to have done the trick for ÂŁ8.

Viscosan toilet cleaner and descaler from PTS ÂŁ6.99 + VAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lime scale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

How to clean the scale inside the casing and pipe rows of industrial boiler headers, in addition to chemical methods? What is the approximate lifespan of the end caps at both ends of the header box? Is it feasible to clean the cut end face? I want to try using a blowing machine to blow out the...
Replies
Views
Evening guys, Having some trouble with a Megaflo Indirect Unvented Cylinder! Fitted a bathroom for some customers in December and ever since the Hot filter on the bar mixer shower keeps getting scaled up with a blue coloured scale of some sort. It's only happening on the shower and no other Hot...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just tried to repair a very old Mira 8 shower unit. However, when trying to remove the brass cover plate it's completely scaled up and it won't budge any ideas on how to free it up. We did think about trying to heat up the bass cover plate but we are concerned about the silver outer...
Replies
Views
hi. anyone used one of these before.. need to connect a hose from a condense pump to a w/c pan connector..these are for connection to soil pipe so im wandering if the wall of the pan connector maybe too thin?..best option is change pan connector to one with a boss on it but the toilet is stuck...
Replies
Views
Hi All So with my new boiler on the way and to give it the best chance of longevity I am going to install a Scale reducer, we live in a part of the UK with the hardest of water and it trashes most things eventually. I am going to buy a Scalewatcher or a Combimate or maybe even BOTH and was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock