Discuss Leaking radiator on which I closed the valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a radiator on the landing that was leaking on the right hand end beneath the temperature dial 6 months ago and I was advised to turn the valve on the other end off because I don't use the radiator and it was either that or replace parts. Problem solved. Until now when the valve itself, on the left end, is also leaking. There's some brown gunk in the water too. The valve is closed tight but there's still a constant drip. It was fine until now. Perhaps a pressure problem? Anyway, I could use some advice on how to seal it. Or a better suggestion even. Cheers. :)

Your only way now is to change the rad valve as it sounds like the rubber o ring that seals the pin has started to fail

Sorry to say

Your only way now is to change the rad valve as it sounds like the rubber o ring that seals the pin has started to fail

Sorry to say

Oh drat! Well I can't afford to get someone else to do the job. Is it easy to replace providing I can undo the nut and remove the old one? It may be a few weeks before I can afford to buy a new one. Since I don't use this radiator do you think I should just replace the smaller valve on the left end? Or should I buy a whole set and replace both in case the pressure builds up again and the new ring goes? I know they both need to be replaced at some point. Depends how easy the job is! Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks.

Do you know what system you have ?

Combi boiler
Or cylinder?

any chance of a pic of the boiler?

Oh drat! Well I can't afford to get someone else to do the job. Is it easy to replace providing I can undo the nut and remove the old one? It may be a few weeks before I can afford to buy a new one. Since I don't use this radiator do you think I should just replace the smaller valve on the left end? Or should I buy a whole set and replace both in case the pressure builds up again and the new ring goes? I know they both need to be replaced at some point. Depends how easy the job is! Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks.

Unfortunately, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

We'll wait for a picture of the boiler before giving advice I think. Perhaps another question to determine, is there tanks in the loft that are still in use?

If money is an issue are you any good at a bit of DIY ? You could drain system, remove valves from Pipes, Buy 2 x 15mm compression cap ends and blank off pipes, you will need to replace inhibitor in heating system.

any chance of a pic of the boiler?

Oh that would be tricky! Easier to describe it. It's made by Ravenheat and it's about ten years old. Looks like a white box from the outside. It has a removable metal panel at the front with a hole through which to see the flame. A temperature dial at the bottom and two switches to the left of that, for turning the heating and hot water on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking radiator on which I closed the valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Does anyone recognise the make/brand of the radiator valve. It leaks when closed and Iam hoping I can replace a seal etc?
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock