Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking hot water tank from Albion Water Heaters 1200 x 450 Grade 3, 162 litre vented in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ivar Tangen

Leaking hot water tank from Albion Water Heaters 1200 x 450 Grade 3, 162 litre vented cylinder
We had a new hot water tank installed 3 years ago and the leak probably started 1-2 years after installation judging by the build up of scale/residue around the leak, and the amount of water under the tank compared to the rate of water leaking (i.e. leak was very small, overnight it would only make a towel slightly damp).
The leak occurred around the lower connection to the boiler (central heating system) and the sheet metal in the tank seems to be broken-down as the pipe to the central heating moves around quite easy with the internal coil.
Could this be attribute to manufacturing fault or installation? Anybody with similar experience(s)?
Some copper staining in the sinks/baths shows the water to be slightly corrosive (private water supply), however, the previous water heater which I believe to be of the same make, was operational for 25 years until it developed a leak in the central heating coil internally in the hot water tank. Please suggest make / type for a new hot water tank, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Leaking hot water tank from Albion Water Heaters 1200 x 450 Grade 3, 162 litre ve

If it is copper corrosion at only 3 years, it might be worth considering a stainless steel vented cylinder (if you are staying with vented). Make shouldn't matter much as long as it is Duplex stainless steel, but Gledhill are one manufacturer to check out. Well insulated & with a 10 year warranty.
Maybe you need your water supply analysed as it is from private supply.
Check in case the factory joint from the coil to the cylinder is leaking which might happen at install but unlikely.
Some copper cylinders have an anode (aluminium sacrificial rod) fitted inside them, to in their base & this has caused numerous cylinders to corrode through, usually on their base. 3, 4 or 5 years not uncommon. It may have a label that states anode.
The anode was supposed to extend the life of the tanks, but they seem to corrode, fall in the base & cause a chemical reaction, as two different metals do & that can be why an identical grade 3 tank can last 20 + years compared to one with an anode.

Last edited:
Re: Leaking hot water tank from Albion Water Heaters 1200 x 450 Grade 3, 162 litre ve

Best: Thank you very much for your reply.
The water analysis came back with a ph of 6.0, other values were well within acceptable levels. However, the lab made the following comment: ‘The above results indicate that this water is under saturated with respect to calcium carbonate (5.2 mg/l) and therefore will have a tendency to remove existing calcium carbonate protective coatings in pipework and equipment.
The water could cause "serious corrosion".’
Any thoughts?

The Albion hot water tank that was leaking had no anode fitted.
The leak is very likely caused by corrosion, but I am shocked that the tank only lasted a couple of years.

I will get a price for a stainless steel tank, another water leak in the loft would be rather devastating.

Thanks again
ITResults of Analysis

Taste:

Prescribed Concentration Method Code Determination Result or Value

i4203 pH 6.0 6.5 to 9.5

i4204 Conductivity 195 μS/cm not more than 2500 μS/cm

i4205 Turbidity 0.2 NTU not more than 4.0 NTU

i4207d Total Alkalinity (as HCO3) 26 mg/l

i4102c Nitrate (as NO3) 11 mg/l not more than 50 mg/l

i4523_Mn Manganese (as Mn) 5 μg/l not more than 50 μg/l

i4523_Ca Calcium (as Ca) 5.2 mg/l

i4523_Fe Iron (as Fe) 10 μg/l not more than 200 μg/l

i4523_Mg Magnesium (as Mg) 4.2 mg/l

i4523_TH Total Hardness (perm't) (mg/l CaCO3) 30 mg/l

i4005b Lead (as Pb) 2 μg/l not more than 25 μg/l

The pH value of the sample was outside of the range prescribed in The Private Water Supplies (Scotland)

Regulations, 2006.

The remaining results of analysis complied with the requirements of the above Regulations.

The above results indicate that this water is under saturated with respect to calcium carbonate and therefore will have

a tendency to remove existing calcium carbonate protective coatings in pipework and equipment.

Was it installed with cylinder union connections or female iron to copper connections?

Was it installed with cylinder union connections or female iron to copper connections?

Electrolysis?

FI connectors strain the cylinder on installation. Unions are much kinder.

I was over thinking that! Lol! :smile:

Sorry, not able to tell. It looks to me as it copper pipe onto a copper connection from the tank(?). I'm trying to post a picture, but unable to upload - any suggestion why that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking hot water tank from Albion Water Heaters 1200 x 450 Grade 3, 162 litre vented in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock