Discuss Just qualified and need advice on how to find plumbing work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MPallett

Hi all

I have just completed my City and Guilds with OLCI training, whilst doing the course I worked with two plumbing firms doing both boiler installations and bathrooms.

The last placement I worked on finished in June last year and I had to go back to carpet fitting work as I could not find any plumbing work and needed to pay the bills.

I now really want to find a plumbing Company I can stay with but need some advice on the best way to go about it.

Many thanks
Matt

I wish you luck with your search for work, but at the moment even guys with years of experience are scratching around for work.

Lets hope it improves soon !

Because if there's work still in it you may of made a mistake coming to plumbing.

Carpet fitting was something I did years ago but struggled with my knees, the work is up and down sometimes busy and sometimes nothing.

I would really just like some advice as to where to start looking for plumbing jobs

And plumbing isn't hard on your knees? I come home most nights with my knees throbbing.

Carpet fitting was something I did years ago but struggled with my knees, the work is up and down sometimes busy and sometimes nothing.

I would really just like some advice as to where to start looking for plumbing jobs

Out of the frying pan and into the fire comes to mind. Most of my work is landlords checks and central heating repairs. I very rarely do installs etc but when I do my Knees take a pounding, and hurts until work the next day, especially if I forget my knee pads. Im only 24 so god knows what it's done to some more experienced chaps.
good luck in finding a job though, it's tough out here but I'm sure you'll find something if you look hard enough

welcome to the forum,
no problem in rad sludge on carpets there then?.

Welcome along :)

Don't know if plumbing is the right game if you're worrying about your knees. I spend 80% of my time on them and the other 20% trying to stand up. :) Ibuprofen rules :)

as already said you will be on your knees most of the time. knee pads help to a certain extent but you still have sore knees of an evening.

And plumbing isn't hard on your knees? I come home most nights with my knees throbbing.

I used to wear no knee pads in the summer , but one day I got house maids knee ( also carpet fitter ) doctor called it this , knee swelled up bad for at least 2 weeks, ibuprofen sorted it out ,, pain was terrible

I used to wear no knee pads in the summer , but one day I got house maids knee ( also called carpet fitter knee) doctor called it this , knee swelled up bad for at least 2 weeks, ibuprofen sorted it out ,, pain was terrible

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not the kneeling that I have a problem with it is the knocking the carpet in but to be honest that was not my only reason I wanted to get a proper qualification and have always been interested in plumbing.

I just really wanted some advice about where to look for jobs or would I be better sending letters off to plumbing/ bathroom firms with my CV and then following up with a call. If anyone works for a plumbing firm would they take notice of a letter?

Any advice would be great

i did the same as u mate, i was a groundworker 5 years ago and decided i wanted something better, so went college night school, 3 hours a night, 2 days a week for 3 years. it was hard work been out the house at 6am and getting in at 10pm especially in winter, ive now been working as a full time plumber for the past 2 years and in 5 weeks time i will be Gas safe registered.

Yes there is little work about so be prepared to take a knock in ur wage, and do as many 1 day courses as you can, i.e unvented hot water is a good one as u need it for solar thermal.

The key is to be persistant, post CV's get the phone book out and phone every plumbing firm in a 30 mile radius. A good way to get ur foot in the door is to do subcontract work.

i know its catch 22 because its hard to take a drop in wage at first and to find continuous work. i have children and a house so i know its hard but its wot i wanted and its now paid off. hope this helps

Hi MPallett,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I can see you are looking for work with a plumbing company. You can contact our job placement advisor who may be able to assist you. Although we cannot guarantee work, we will do what we can to help you.

Please call me on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

get some business cards and leaflets made up...vistaprint offer free ones. put a listing on ebay...this is free. contact all estate agents/local landlords offering a competitive service. be punctual and do a good job....soon enough you'll get work from word of mouth!!! good luck. average time to get a business up and running 18 months!

18 months my backside. Taken me a good five years to spread the good work and get enough people to come to me first.

I am 24 as well and i get sore knees very often and i get a sore back every day/night, plumbing is not a suitable job if you are worried about your knee's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Just qualified and need advice on how to find plumbing work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock