Search the forum,

Discuss Joint leak - what is this brown stuff ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

billy wedlock

Hi, what is this brown stuff
51301500909__FEF28168-E877-44A7-A7F3-834FD67302DC.JPG.jpeg
f from this joint ? Just water leaking via joint tape ?

Different people use different methods to seal joints.

it looks like hemp has been youed to do the joint in stead of ptfe tape and some inhibiters are dark in colour which may when leaking look like this

Looks like the leak may be coming from the vent or blank plug. Looks like it's tracking down the rad. Nasty looking joint that though.

Billy are you just wanting to know what it is or want to sort it ?
Take the tails out and use some loctite 55 if you want the latter.

As above, it looks like hemp and some type of paste
If it isn't leaking, run a junior hacksaw blade around the threads to tidy it up
If it's leaking, do what townfanjon says
There's defo water running down from further up though

EDIT use the hacksaw blade whilst out of the saw frame, lightly

Hemp and compound. Very untidy work too! Leak is from above you can see in the pictute. be the bleed plug or blank at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joint leak - what is this brown stuff ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock