Discuss JIB Card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fuzzy

How important is it to get a JIB card? What do you need to get one? I have a CSCS card and never been asked for it, but I suppose it depends were you work. IF a plumber did a basic course could he get one as a plumber?

Please let me know if you have one or not

I have applied to the JIB for CSCS gold card which needed proof of quals. and experience but never had JIB card

i thought the cscs was just a H&S card? do plumbers need both jib and cscs card? my cscs is just the basic one for site visitors

For plumbers you need to get a cscs card from the JIB and it is the H&S card

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a JIB Advanced and later Technical Plumber for years.
Its intended to prove track record.
In other words each grade has a list of work you should be able to do.
If you can't a company can fire you.
Its why they pay you the graded rates they do.

You usually have to prove that you have actually done the work your grade says you should be able to do and your past employers agree.

Its not a case of qualifications alone, you have to have it proved you have a track record of having done the work.

Sensible really isn't it?

Hi! Fuzzy,

Basically that is the idea.

Just show your grade card and they take you on.

They know what they are getting and can sack you if you can't deliver it. In return no haggling they usually pay you the grade rate and all the extras.

Part of the idea goes back to the early seventies when apprentices just out of their time, with little experience, where declared Plumbers and so entitled to a full Plumbers wage.

It meant though, that they got the same wages as a Plumber who may have been working as a Plumber for 20 odd years, in charge of men and running complex jobs.

Which doesn't really seem fair.

So they started the JIB to over see the industry and set the wage rates as well as other things.

Before the new cards there where three categories Trained, Advanced and Technician.

The technician should be capable of virtually running a company on their own, as well as running highly complex jobs, not to mention supervisory aspects.

The Advance Plumber could also be asked to act as a Foreman as well as take charge of big jobs.

What usually happens though is that the Advanced Plumber grade is the one most Plumbers seem to have. Its okay being a tech but its finding work that will pay the tech rate.

But you can downgrade, and keep your higher grade, if there is work for the lower grade although of course you will not usually be paid the higher rate.

Also its a bit of a job finding JIB companies now days, most Plumbing companies no longer seem to be JIB, except the big ones. Some places though demand a companies staff be in the JIB.

I never had any problems with it, it seems a good idea. Its the same as the "sparks".

Have a look on the JIB website Joint Industrial Board for Plumbing Mechanical Engineering Services.

Its free if your in the union and so much a year if your not. I think it also has a self employed branch as well that negotiates on your behalf with the big companies, making sure you get a good self employed deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i started my apprenetice it was with the old builcing trades and as i finished it was jib they actually refused to give me a jib card unless i either joined the union or paid about a weeks wages for it i told them to stick where the sun dont shine and in 37 years ive never been asked for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to JIB Card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock