Discuss Issue with sewer gas - AAV mounted in loft at 45% in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lawrert

photo 2.jpg

Hi, I have a problem with a smell of sewer gas around the house. I checked the air admittance valve in the loft and noticed it was mounted at a 45% angle (with the roof beams) and it also smelt.

It has been very windy last few nights.

Could the mounting be the problem?

Rich

AAV's should be fitted vertically otherwise the inner workings can stick and allow foul smelling air into living space.

same as ch4 , but must admit that when i looked at the pic to start off i thought to my self that it was installed horizontally! and wondered what the insulation stuffed into the corner was!!! think you'll need to stick another 45degree on it to get it running horisontally for a meter or so , then a 90 elbow to get it sticking up vertical!

That install is nuts ! - in fact as above its dead easy to fix as you have been advised

There are some really competant, keen engineers on UKPF who give their time
for free - it is a really special service to DIY man and experts alike CHK

Spot on advice above as usual, and I am sure going to 90 degrees will sort it, but if you end up changing it look on E-bay loads on, BNIB, got one for £8.00 last year.

Hi everyone, big thank you for the help. Here is some extra information:

It turns out that next to the AAV (that was mounted at 45%) is right next to an unconnected roof tile vent (see picture) and below the vent is the word 'plumber' (see picture).

It seems like what might have happened is the the original plumber may have been supposed to connect the vent and pipe, but thought that it was simpler to mount the AAV, does this sound possible?

I spoke to a local plumbers merchant and they suggested as a temp measure connecting the pipe to the vent, which I have done, however the smell of sewer gas came again this morning?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Richardphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Hi everyone, big thank you for the help. Here is some extra information:

It turns out that next to the AAV (that was mounted at 45%) is right next to an unconnected roof tile vent (see picture) and below the vent is the word 'plumber' (see picture).

It seems like what might have happened is the the original plumber may have been supposed to connect the vent and pipe, but thought that it was simpler to mount the AAV, does this sound possible?

I spoke to a local plumbers merchant and they suggested as a temp measure connecting the pipe to the vent, which I have done, however the smell of sewer gas came again this morning?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

RichardView attachment 16595View attachment 16596

Yeah looks like because it's so close to roof trust he's just decided to rubber ear it lol. What I've seen done in they circumstances is get a length of 5 inch tumble dryer hose (ye know the white flexi stuff) clamp it onto the pipe and then cut it to desired to length to avoid sags and kinks that will restrict air flow and then clamp it to the roof vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Issue with sewer gas - AAV mounted in loft at 45% in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock