Search the forum,

Discuss Soil Vent query. Bad smells in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. I own a three storey house. 4 toilets. 3 showers.

Since I moved in a couple of years ago there’s been a recurring (and very mild) sewer odour. Most can’t smell it but I can and it’s coming from the shower traps mostly. And sometimes the kitchen sink. At first I assumed a pipe blockage and went about trying to clear it.

Finally I realised it’s not most likely a blockage but rather the fact that the house has no soil vent! My other neighbours all have one but ours had a big dormer loft extension some years ago and it was clearly removed.

I’m guessing they added an air admittance valve to meet building regs which isn’t visible so it must be built into the walls. Presuming the AAV had malfunctioned I added a new one off the upstairs sink (the highest water point) and hoped all would be well. It wasn’t and I got in a plumber to take a look. He suggested adding more AAVs. Which we did. And it’s still not worked. He thinks it’s probably just too big a system to be vented by small AAVs on the third floor and I’d like to reinstate an outside vent to clear the issue once and for all.

The issue I have is where to put it. The layout of the house is as follows: On the ground floor, I have a visible soil rising from the ground sewer and going up to ceiling height at ground level. It then disappears inside the house. Presumably under floor boards on first floor. There’s then a normal soil to both toilets on first floor and from that point, all other soil pipe is smaller 40mm white pipe. That covers the showers and sinks on first floor and the sinks, showers and toilets on second floor, because we have a saniflow.

Because there’s not a full size soil to top floor level, I’d have to add a full size soil to the extra two storeys and have a roof vent. This would be logistically challenging because it would need to divert around existing dining extensions and aesthetically will look very incongruous given the design of the loft dormer. I’d also have to cut through three separate roof lips.

My questions are therefore:

Does the vent need to be at roof level? Building control seems to stipulate that it must be 900mm from an opening window, but could I theoretically add a vent to the soil at ground roof level provided it was 900mm away. Or would it cause problems given it was so low?

Would it be a problem that the vent was far below the highest water point? Plumber says it wouldn’t be a problem because water can’t go up. And if there was a blockage we’d presumably know about it long before it went to ground roof level?

Are there any other ways to solve the problem? Could we add AAV’s to every sink in the house. Would that make a difference? Again plumber thinks that’s unlikely to cause a problem because of said earlier blockage indicators we would receive.

Many thanks for any help received.

Thanks. Dave.

It all depends on the plumbing layout of your house.

You may need more than 1 vent to atmosphere, depending on how the plumbing is installed, how many stacks, length of branch drain off a ventilated drain and on and on.

For a temporary measure, cut a vent in at a suitable location and see if that improves the problem inside.
If it does, then terminate that vent appropriately.

Sorry to ignore most of your post for the moment, but so long as your traps as staying full of water I would not be assuming the problem is the air inlet being faulty. In any case, you've added additional air inlets to prevent the traps from being sucked dry.

Could the air admittance valve be letting foul air out and it's wafting through the house somewhere?

It could even be a defective joint or redundant hole drilled into the side of the dry section of a soil and vent pipe to allow an 'external' WC overflow pipe to be shoved in (wrong, but I've seen it done). Has your plumber pressure tested the drainage system at your house? If it fails the standard 38mm water gauge for 3 minutes test, then that is the first thing you need to resolve before redesigning the entire system: the internal pipework needs to be air tight (ideally the external pipework would also be airtight, but old salt-glazed pipe underground might not be 100% at the joints, but wouldn't be causing this kind of problem).

To answer your questions:

1. Doesn't always have to be at top roof level, but if you are trying to replace the durgo with an open vent, then the vent should be at the top of the drainage system really. So, if you have an upstairs bathroom, the vent would be above it. However, Approved Document H suggests 900mm above an opening OR 3m horizontal distance, so if your suggested location is within 3m of a window above, it would not be compliant.

2. Can't see a problem myself.

3. Yes you could. You can get air inlet traps. Or HepVO waterless traps.

Hi Dave
Unfortunately you are discovering the hard way that Automatic Air Admittance Valves are not the complete solution to venting drainage systems. The clue is in the name they can only allow air in to break negative pressures they can't release positive pressure & both can cause trap seal loss.
You really need to comply with Part H :1 of the Building Regulations please see page 11 of the attached. Minimum size of vent is 75mm at the end of the run if at all possible but it needs to terminate 900mm above any opening into the building if less than 3 Metres away.

Hope that helps

Reply to Soil Vent query. Bad smells in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock