Search the forum,

Discuss AAV near WC pan in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I have discovered that the flexible connector from the WC pan to the soil pipe does not have all the "fins" pushed in and is weeping - that's easy to fix - but I'm wondering if I can address another issue at the same time while I have all the cabinetry off.

There does not appear to be any venting to the WC/basin wastes which causes the shower trap to pull and then smell of drains. The whole shower room is boxed in and tiled - the soil pipe is dificult to locate although it does drop down through the downstairs cloakroom (although not obviously directly below the shower room) I can't find any eveidence of any sort of vent in the soil pipework (not through the roof, not in the loft)

My question is whether the layout (not to scale - flexible from the pan is about 45cm) in the very rough drawing would work to create a vent stop the shower trap smells. The back face of the pan is against a cabinet with all pipework concealed.

aav-wc-12jul21.jpg

The plan would be to use an extension connector to add a short length of soil pipe to the existing 2" or so sticking through the wall - that short length of pipe to have an AAV fitted in a boss strap - and then a new (shorter) flexible from the pan.

AAV would be this one FloPlast AF32W Air Admittance Valve - https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-af32w-air-admittance-valve/42968

Does this seem realistic? I have seen a McAlpine soil pipe/pan connector with a boss for an AAV but the clearance around the spigot in the concealed pipework pan isn't big enough.

All guidance and advice appreciated.

What about an anti vac trap on the basin?

Where does the soil pipe go after stud wall?

Checked that theres not a blockage in the soil pipes anywhere?

What about an anti vac trap on the basin?

Where does the soil pipe go after stud wall?

Checked that theres not a blockage in the soil pipes anywhere?
Thanks for the response.

No idea where it goes - it must turn 90 degrees right through the stud (probably with an entry boss for the basin that's to the left of the WC) and then another 90 degrees behind a stud wall - collecting the shower waste along the way - then down to pick up the downstairs cloakroom WC. It's all completely tiled in.
I'm certain there's no blockage - it all points to the lack of vent causing the WC flush to pull the shower trap (that's a very shallow "cup" type ) - the shower tray is only about 2cm above the floor level.
The shower room is partly in a dormer and partly in the catslide roof beside the dormer.

There's no space to install an AAV on the basin - that's all boxed in very tightly too.

Would my concept as the drawing work to vent?

There's no space to install an AAV on the basin - that's all boxed in very tightly too.

Would my concept as the drawing work to vent?
An anti vac trap is not really an aav, its a tiny 1 inch by 1 inch aav on a standard trap.

An anti vac trap is not really an aav, its a tiny 1 inch by 1 inch aav on a standard trap.

It's venting the main soil pipe (as the WC flushes) that seems to be the cause of the shower trap pulling - not the basin.

Back to my original question and drawing . . . is that realistic?

Reply to AAV near WC pan in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock