Discuss Installing rads on a new system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MetManMark

All
We have been getting estimates for central heating systems. One thing that occurred to me is what is the deal with the reflector stuff you can buy to go behind radiators? None of the rads in our current house have them but I know having looked at DIY stores etc they sell stuff that improves the heat going into the room. Should we stipulate that with our new central heating system they put these on? The house is 200 years old with no cavity wall.
Apologies if this is a dumb question!
Cheers
Mark

i have never fitted them, but im sure they are something that you can fit yourself after you have the heating installed, rather then paying your heating guys to do it.

Sure we could - my point was more regarding whether this is something that should be done as a matter of course on a new install.
Cheers
Mark

I wouldnt worry about it to much to be honest , some people have them behind most dont and as long as your rads are sized correctrly then having enough heat should not be problem.

well i guess it wouldn't be a bad thing as it would reflect heat back into the room and possibly lower the chance of heat loss in through the wall behind the rad

this is interesting: [DLMURL="http://www.earthwhile.co.uk/Shop/Radiator_Insulation/Thermawrap_Radiator_Foil/product.html"]http://www.earthwhile.co.uk/Shop/Radiator_Insulation/Thermawrap_Radiator_Foil/product.html

r[/DLMURL]eckons it would save you ÂŁ53 a year

Last edited by a moderator:
never fit any but have had taken out hundreds of them ! they collect lots of dust that is for sure ! like said above if rads are oversized correctly you will be ok !

I use term oversize as you better have a bit more then not enough output

most of these things are a waste of money, if there was a decent saving to be made from this then we would be fitting them as standard. Unless there is independant test results leave alone imo.

Radiators move heat by swirling it around the room and not reflecting heat into a room. I was taught that if sited properly (can't remember the measurements but something like >100mm below and above) the air can move around it properly then there's no need for these reflector thingies and they'll be a waste of time and money.

diy shed tat mate any heat going into the wall behind is still heating your property leave the heating on for a couple of hours then go otside and see if you can feel any heat gettting through the wall if you can ill eat my hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing rads on a new system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My property is a 3-bed terraced with double glazing windows... It currently has no central heating, so I will get a new combi fitted...
Replies
Views
I would like to add an additional radiator to our central heating system. We have an attached double garage converted to a man-cave and workshop...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock