Search the forum,

Discuss Installation of outside tap has caused toilets to fill slower? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello! I had a friend install one of those 'tap into pipe outdoor tap kits', and since that both my upstairs and downstairs toilets are filling much slower than they did before.
Has anyone any reason why this might be?
Thanks in advance!!

Let me guess it was the self cutting valve type ? If so that needs removing the the piece cut out and you will see why you have lower flow

Hi Beth.

First I'll introduce myself as an amateur plumber.

My own view is cut into pipe kits should be banned or have big warning. You have one reason. Also in time I guess they could well leak.

I'm guessing this is under the sink also where your incoming mains comes in. Can you include a photo? This is a critical area, and if you can I'd use a professional plumber to sort it out, unless you enjoy plumbing.

If you have a drop in stainless sink and drainer, it may be easiest to take that out to do the work, but have to be careful not to damage clips and seals, also carefully reinstall ( most professionals therefore will be skilled enough to leave the sink on and to e.g. lie on the floor and do the work blind one handed, but do a better job than rest of us in a fraction of the time).

Now if it's not leaking and you can live with slow loo then I'd leave for time being until Corvid-19 restrictions eased, although if you all take sensible precautions you prob can find a plumber at the mo who needs the work.

Best job would be soldered by a professional, otherwise use compression fittings. If pushfit used then need to add pipe support which may be time consuming and tricky but not impossible. A photo would help people comment on the best solution.

Please ask on any points where I'm not making sense.

Apologies if this sounds downbeat.

If you want to learn plumbing though, you now have water in the garden, so can get some bits (Inc reused scrap) and practice there first. As a very great chef said "practice, don't wing it". The same is true for plumbing. You need regular practice. That's why I'm here on this forum, to remind myself of stuff and keep learning more. It's also time I did some plumbing.

Cheers,

Roy

Hi Roy, thank you so much for your reply!

The stop tap hadn't been turned fully back on. I feel like whenever I stress out about something, it's always a ridiculously simple issue! Haha

I wanted to say an extra thanks for the speed and detail of your reply, and how kind you sounded just with your words. I really appreciate it.

Because of your advice I am going to get a qualified plumber to come have a look just to make sure everything is okay!

Hi Roy, thank you so much for your reply!

The stop tap hadn't been turned fully back on. I feel like whenever I stress out about something, it's always a ridiculously simple issue! Haha

I wanted to say an extra thanks for the speed and detail of your reply, and how kind you sounded just with your words. I really appreciate it.

Because of your advice I am going to get a qualified plumber to come have a look just to make sure everything is okay!

Funny how most apparently bad things don't turn out likenyou think (worth remembering).

Good thinking on getting a pro to have a look. It is critical because all your water comes from there so you can't isolate if it starts leaking without turning all your water off.

Anyhow, make sure to now enjoy your easy outside watering, before we get a hosepipe ban. I can't even predict it will start raining when the kids break up for the summer this year :cool:

Stay safe.

Roy

Reply to Installation of outside tap has caused toilets to fill slower? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock