Discuss Indirect vented cylinder - feed from mains instead of water tank. Doable? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kozel

Hi,

I am having my bathroom refurbished and had some builders in for a quotes. As part of the refurb, we want to install a mixer shower that requires at least 0.5bar. We have a standard gravity fed system (water tank in a loft) with indirect vented HW cylinder (in the airing cupboard in master bedroom). I assume it gives max. 0.25bar (bathroom directly above the loft).

One builder suggested feeding HW cylinder from mains rather than water tank. However intrigued I am by this option, it also set some alarm bells in my head (how do you stop cylinder from overfilling, what is the point of the tank after this or damage to the piping which may not be designed for this pressure). I have looked at the internet and basically found only 2 threads about this (bad sign?). One was basically saying something like 'DO NOT do it unless you want to wake up in your neighbor's bed or not at all...' and one saying that 'it is quite common to do this in mainland europe' (even found a schematics for it - it is done by installing pressure reducing valve, strainer and non-return valve).

Therefore my question is, is it doable/safe/viable in the first place?

Obvious alternative would be to install water pump, but we really could do without the noise as well as extra mechanical part that could potentially go wrong. Unless someone knows about some ultra quite pump...

Many thanks in advance for you comments.

NO.
the builder is mental or its a misunderstanding.
you can get an unvented cylinder fitted or fit a shower pump.
what is suggested is a bomb making lesson !

just to clarify, I am thinking you are talking about adapting the existing hot water cylinder??
this would be dangerous illegal etc.
you can get an unvented cylinder tht is fed from the mains, gives better flow and has no tank in the loft.
not a cheap option and has to be fitted by someone suitably qualified.
very unlikely to be the builder.

Last edited:
in a word no. not a very good idea, a standard cylinder isn't designed for pressurising. i would go with a stuart turner pump myself, they are just about the quietest of pumps.

dont get a builder to do a plumbers job, if u want a pressurised system go for an unvented system installed by a competent person :) you, the wife, kids + dog will be safe. may be a bit more expensive but no where near as many probs as letting the builder do it.

Last edited:
I wonder if we're jumping to conclusions here. Could be the builder has seen unvented cylinders, knows they're pretty good for showers, but leaves all the plumbing and final plumbing advice to his plumber.

The builder I used for years knew all sorts of stuff in construction but had a whole host of people to call in, e.g. electrician, plumber, roofer, joiner, decorator, etc, etc and all the builder stuck to was basic brickwork and stonework and project management.

I did give the option of mental..:bomb:.. or misunderstood..:confused5:.
it is one of those, which one???

No offense, but reading here I would be inclined to go for option number 1 since he is aware that there is a tank in a loft (asked him to replace an intake valve since it caused the piping to rattle inside the walls) and he also inspected the cylinder. I don't recall us having conversation about replacing it (I did not even mention this when placing an ad).

As said the builder will probably leave it to the plumber to run through it with you, but please ask that he does.

builders can't do plumbing, they think they can and tell you they can but it always looks a mess.

Flexi pipe galore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Indirect vented cylinder - feed from mains instead of water tank. Doable? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock