Search the forum,

Discuss I want to swap my electric shower to a power shower! in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to swap my electric shower to a power shower. I have a 200 litre pressurised hot water tank in the loft (not a combi boiler) the hot side has a pump and decent flow, but the cold side/hot side has not got an equal pressure as the cold is just mains fed and would say the flow is below average compared to most households. Is there a particular power shower that can work in these unbalanced conditions or a way of reducing flow on the hot side or another pump on the cold? What are my options here?

Last edited:
Not quite sure what system you have. Are you in the UK?

If you have a pressurised cylinder you won't have a pump on it. If your mains is also poor so will be your hot, the hot can't gain pressure or flow unless you're using an accumulator with a pump that feeds your hot?

If you have an unvented cylinder and the hot pressure/flow are decent then there will be a way to get a decent shower but may involve some pipework going in

A small drawing of what you think your system is plus some photos of the cylinder install/ pump would be handy

Not quite sure what system you have. Are you in the UK?

If you have a pressurised cylinder you won't have a pump on it. If your mains is also poor so will be your hot, the hot can't gain pressure or flow unless you're using an accumulator with a pump that feeds your hot?

If you have an unvented cylinder and the hot pressure/flow are decent then there will be a way to get a decent shower but may involve some pipework going in

A small drawing of what you think your system is plus some photos of the cylinder install/ pump would be handy
I think that a non G3 might have added a pump to the hot outlet and now there is a risk of imploding the cylinder…..

This will be interesting ….

Yes! I am in the UK I'm not a plumber which you have most probably guessed! We had a new central heating system installed into our property that runs of a heat pump! The water pump I have mentioned most probably runs the central heating system, but was unsure if it was switchable for the hot water supply to the taps! I have sent an E-mail to the company that installed it anyway to get more information, if I remember talking to the installers I think it was possible, but didn't go into much detail at the time!

You will need an accumulator tank and charging pump. It’s installed on the cold mains and will boost all cold/hot outlets. The tank will likely be as large as the hot water cylinder and cost as much, if not more.

Wow that's a bit of a shock, but I will look into that!
If you had a vented cyclinder and cold water tank in the loft, with a proven low pressure/flow house mains feed. An unvented cylinder will not solve it. There are many ‘plumbers’ falsely advising it will.

Unvented only gets out what it gets in and you can’t pump mains water more than 12 lpm without an accumulator/break tank.

Reply to I want to swap my electric shower to a power shower! in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock