Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

Annoying drip from new new basin waste?

Wrap PTFE around the thread on the brass waste and then fit the flat washer or coned basin mate then tighten the nut. Nothing worse than that slow teardrop spiraling down the thread just when you thought you've finished.

Since I've used PTFE I've not had a single leak.

I've a couple of tips for anyone like me who satisfies the two conditions of owning an expensive freezing machine and also being an idiot.

1) If working on rads/primary pipes remember to tell the customer that the heating must be cold by the time you arrive.

2) When you arrive remember to check the heating is not due to come on.

I did neither of these on a job earlier and upon swapping a rad and filling it up put my tools away and then came back amazed to find it was now hot. Lu-cky.

Remember to regularly sharpen the blades on your plastic pipe cutters to ensure a clean and easy cut.

if you get an iscolation valve leak from the spindle after turning it off to drain down a boiler drain down completely, layer it with flux and solder around the spindle, have done this a few times, you cant turn the valve back off but atleast it stops the leak untill you can gt hold of a new valve which can sometimes be a long wait

if you tighten a compression fitting onto a pipe and realize you have made a mistake you can remove olives with a flat file basically you tap the olive with the file and rotate the pipe slowly the olive can then be removed they can then be re-used some people say they leak but personally i have had no problems there are a few other tips on u tube that i have found the link is bellow

TheTomplum's Channel - YouTube

a
nother thing i do is i write down faults in a small book so i can go back to it in the future it helps me remember things i would otherwise forget such as what ohm readings you should get from certain components, formulas and rules

Last edited by a moderator:

This isn't really a plumbing tip but a matter of courtesy that my customers really appreciate. When working on a bathroom, the smells from open soil pipes. wastes and every day materials like flux, silicone etc can be very off putting, especially as it's someones home. I now always put a air freshener in the stripped out bathroom and the one that squirts out a scent on a timer.

always keep half a length of imperial in ya van

I find a couple of sheets of newspaper stops the smells and also soaks up the extra drips of water.

use the correct tool for the job

buy one of those LED head lights they are the muts nuts for under floors and other confined spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Looking for tips on being faster at work. I am working on new builds and pressure is being put on me to speed up production. I am working at a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler - POLLTIME! PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK...
Replies
Views
How has 2022 been so far? How's the economy affecting you? Any tips? This email has been sent to all members of the forum. I thought we could...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
H
  • Article
Lecturers in Plumbing within Construction 36 hours, 52 weeks per year , part time hours will also be considered £32,732- £39,096 per annum...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock