Search the forum,

Discuss High chlorine content with too many flats in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Is it possible for chlorine content in mains water to be increase when everyone has been connected to the mains supply after being disconnected from water tanks.
I feel that the water quality smells more of bleach and the cold water is a a lot drier on skin ever since the other flats were disconnected from the water tanks and now all 6 of us are on one rising mains water supply, is this possible?

The 'mains' water supply won't have changed. However, I can think of two things may have affected the water that is delivered to your taps.

Firstly, it is likely to be delivered at higher pressure than water from a storage tank. This is may cause taps, etc. to generate more aerosol (microscopic droplets) and these may be responsible for the 'chlorine' you are smelling.

Secondly, water that has been in storage tanks in the roof before being delivered will have had a time for the chlorine that is added to all mains water to have 'evaporated' before it is used.

Your water supplier will be able to tell you more about the level of chlorine in the supply at your location. Here's an example:

If you are concerned you can ask the supplier to check the level at your property.

There will also be private laboratories that can test water for you in your area. Don't just order tests without getting advice from the lab first, they will be able to tell you what type of test(s) are most appropriate for your circumstances and how to interpret the results. Expect to spend ca £100 if you go down this route.

If you have skin problems, I suggest you consult a doctor before blaming your plumbing. I'm not a medic, but my understanding is that chlorine and hardness in the water supply do not cause dermatitis, dryness, itching, etc. but they may make the symptoms of some conditions more noticeable/troublesome.

Reply to High chlorine content with too many flats in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock