Search the forum,

Discuss Help!! What is this pipe please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jay001

Not sure this is in the right place as I'm a newbie!

We're in the process of knocking through a wall and have come across this pipe. Nobody is too sure what it is (think their main concern is it's electric and don't want a nasty shock!) but we need it out of the way!

Think it's galvanized. Very cold to start but does warm up if you hold your hand on it (suggesting there is no cold water in it).

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 106
best thing you could do and if you going that far is to trace it, if its elec there should be a box not to far away

looking something like this

conduit_circular_box_galv_tee_3_way.png

but it might be your water main/gas ad it looks like hemp on the coupling joint

Hi Shaun. Thanks for your reply. Problem is it's all the far side of the wall, so unless we keep chopping away, can't get to anything. The gap we've cut is 5' wide and no junction box spotted
The hemp part is interesting though! Still not sure what to do! LOL

Hi Shaun. Thanks for your reply. Problem is it's all the far side of the wall, so unless we keep chopping away, can't get to anything. The gap we've cut is 5' wide and no junction box spotted
The hemp part is interesting though! Still not sure what to do! LOL

is there any markings/writing on the pipe any where you can see?

That doesn't look like conduit to me! There are teeth marks on the pipe from Stillsons. Probably water or gas..

sorry to say you have two options lave it where it is or find where it comes/ goes to

The coupler is too thick for conduit.
Leaving Gas or Water

It looks like it's been buried in the wall so the panelling can cover it.
I'd tend towards Gas originally going to a Gas fire, but that may have been a long time ago.

I can't publish what I personally would do as I'm competent to resolve any issue it throws up.

You'd have to assume the worst, that it's gas and get a Gassafe engineer to prove it's not first.

The coupler is too thick for conduit.
Leaving Gas or Water

It looks like it's been buried in the wall so the panelling can cover it.
I'd tend towards Gas originally going to a Gas fire, but that may have been a long time ago.

I can't publish what I personally would do as I'm competent to resolve any issue it throws up.

You'd have to assume the worst, that it's gas and get a Gassafe engineer to prove it's not first.

Ok - thanks for your help. I'd love to know what you'd do?! Private message - or is that not allowed?

Ok - thanks for your help. I'd love to know what you'd do?! Private message - or is that not allowed?

not allowed if its gas and your not gas safe reg sorry

IF it's gas. If I were to get a gas safe registered person out here, can you (they) check/test before cutting or not?

you could but you might be without gas for a couple of days (new line being installed)

you could but you might be without gas for a couple of days (new line being installed)

Well the place next door (panelled side) has no gas. The shop with the hole in the wall has a gas boiler but it's all at the opposite end of the shop...and the gas meter is at the back of the shop, this pipe is near the front?! Upstairs have no gas either.

Well the place next door (panelled side) has no gas. The shop with the hole in the wall has a gas boiler but it's all at the opposite end of the shop...and the gas meter is at the back of the shop, this pipe is near the front?! Upstairs have no gas either.

Properties get chopped around and things get moved all the time. It might not be gas, but if it is, the consequences of getting it wrong are pretty bad! Is there NO way of having a look behind the panelling??

Whoever gets to the stage of cutting the pipe will need access to the gas and water isolation points for all the adjacent properties unless the pipe can be physically followed from end to end.

It's quite likely to be old and unused but who knows.

In my opinion its probable galvanized steel pipe and used for water, it should be black iron pipe work if it was gas. Looks like red lead and hemp were used to seal the joint, Just be careful and get someone with a voltage detector to check it out first. because it still possible be electrical conduit.

Properties get chopped around and things get moved all the time. It might not be gas, but if it is, the consequences of getting it wrong are pretty bad! Is there NO way of having a look behind the panelling??

No there isn't. We put the panelling on but no sign of pipe...so it's buried into the wall :(

In my opinion its probable galvanized steel pipe and used for water, it should be black iron pipe work if it was gas. Looks like red lead and hemp were used to seal the joint, Just be careful and get someone with a voltage detector to check it out first. because it still possible be electrical conduit.

Gas safe registered guy coming out next week...so hopefully we'll get sorted! Thanks

in my opinion I would consider getting an electrician before paying for a gas fitter.

tbh mate no point as a sparky would know if there was cables inside (test wise) unless he cut into then what happens if its gas/water

tbh mate no point as a sparky would know if there was cables inside (test wise) unless he cut into then what happens if its gas/water

I personally think its a old water main. However it could be electrical conduit and with and decent non contact electrical tester, current flowing in a circut would still give off low frequeny and heat. this would easily be picked up through the galvanized conduit. how do you think the electric board can trace armored cables buried 5 to 6 feet underground. No knows for sure what it is, but as galvanized pipework should not be used on gas due to the reaction hydro carbons have on zinc , probability would say its more likley electric than gas.

I personally think its a old water main. However it could be electrical conduit and with and decent non contact electrical tester, current flowing in a circut would still give off low frequeny and heat. this would easily be picked up through the galvanized conduit. how do you think the electric board can trace armored cables buried 5 to 6 feet underground. No knows for sure what it is, but as galvanized pipework should not be used on gas due to the reaction hydro carbons have on zinc , probability would say its more likley electric than gas.

if it is elec it wouldnt be sealed with hemp and red lead/stag

if it is elec it wouldnt be sealed with hemp and red lead/stag

Totally agree to me its a old and possibly disused water main, I also mentioned stag and hemp were used on an earlier post which to me says water but as no can tell it could have been bad advice to give. for all i know it could be a mild steel gas pipe painted with galvanized paint to protect from corrosion. Hope he posts the outcome.

it's the coupler that's throwing everyone off. it looks weird. ignoring that it does look like water/gas threaded iron.

every now and the totally weird things crop up. i once had a section of copper to join onto and nothing i had would fit. nothing whatsoever. i cut out a section and took it tm my local brainbox guy at the best merchant in town. he tried everything on it, scrutinized and nothing would fit. wasn't deformed or anything. his best guess was at some point it had frozen and swelled, not burst but for some inexplicable reason swollen totally uniformally making it like 17mm copper or something. Thank god for Philmacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help!! What is this pipe please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock