Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Heating OK but hot water not turning on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a standard system boiler setup. I have a problem in that the hot water cylinder doesn't refill once it is emptied. eg. If my wife has a shower and empties the tank (it is only 120L and high flow shower), I then press the hot water button and the boiler does not fire up. If I turn on the heating only, or heating and hot water then the boiler turns on and fills the tank nicely, and the heating works. I wonder if there is some sort of sensor which tells the boiler that the hot water tank is empty and this isn't working?

Thanks.

The setup as you're describing it doesn't make sense. It's almost impossible to run a cylinder dry as its being constantly being replenished from the cold water storage cistern. With a high flow pump and inadequate mains flow you could be running the cistern dry, but that would not affect whether or not the boiler fires.

If by some means you are running the cylinder dry then it's possible that the boiler is not firing due to reaching the temperature set point very quickly as there is no water to conduct heat away from the cylinder heating coil, leaving a vey small circuit and no way of dissipating heat. The boiler does not fill the cylinder, nor is there a water level sensor, assuming you have a standard system boiler and vented cylinder setup.

Unvented cylinders work differently but again, the boiler doesn't have anything to do with water level, or replenishing the cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I wasnt clear earlier. The cylinder doesnt run dry, it is full of cold water and doent seem to trigger the boiler to replenish the hot.

Sorry I wasnt clear earlier. The cylinder doesnt run dry, it is full of cold water and doent seem to trigger the boiler to replenish the hot.

Could by cylinder stat. But if cylinder warms up when heating is turned on there's something else amiss. Do you have a 3-port valve or 2-ports? What kind of programmer? A couple of photos of the valves and related pipework would help.

Thank you. I have tried to attach some photos. The cold water tank is just above the cylinder in the loft.

IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0616.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0618.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg

OK so when you want to reheat the water, you press the Hot Water Advance button? Does the LED come on?

Have you tried raising the temperature set point on the cylinder stat? Does it click at any point on the scale?

Yes the LED comes on when I press it. There is a thermostat on the front/bottom of the cylinder (I thought this was for the immersion), it doesn't click when I move it round.

Yes the LED comes on when I press it. There is a thermostat on the front/bottom of the cylinder (I thought this was for the immersion), it doesn't click when I move it round.

That's the cylinder stat. It should click when you turn it past the current temperature of the water. Sounds like that's your culprit.

Although still concerning that the cylinder heats up when the heating comes on. On photo 3, that silver box on the lower of the two pipes is your 2-port valve. There is a small lever at one end of it. Have a look at it, has it been hooked over a little metal hook in the slot that the lever is in? If not, does the lever move? With resistance, or does it flop about?

The leaver seems to be hooked over. I didn't want to push on it to hard as it seemed quite stiff in place.

IMG_0626.JPG

This is the thermostat:

IMG_0621.JPG

No, that's not hooked over, it's in the closed position.

Try turning the hot water on, turn the cylinder stat to maximum and see if the lever then moves.

Stiff, I can't move it by hand. The end it is at says 'auto'. The other end says 'manual'.

Then it's almost 100% the cylinder stat. And the fact that you can't move the lever at all suggests it's seized in the open position, which is why the cylinder heats up when heating is on.

I suggest getting a competent heating engineer in to swap the stat and possibly the 2-port valve out, and give the system configuration a once-over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating OK but hot water not turning on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock