Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Heating issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Willknapo

Hello folks.
Im having constant issues with my ch it's a good few years old now....definitely past its best
I would say.
Anyway I keep loosing pressure in my upstairs rads and I get air in them on a constant basis even after bleeding.
It's a oil fired boiler with 9 rads on the system with a header tank in the loft.
I've tried a whole host of things to sort this and I'm in the process of replacing the last old radiator with a new one. Also 2 of the rads in the living room don't get hot at all even though water is flowing through them normally.
Does any one have any ideas as to why it's loosing pressure and pulling in air?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also 2 of the rads in the living room don't get hot at all even though water is flowing through them normally

sounds like you have a slight leak on the return somewhere and how do you know waters going through the two rads in the living room?

Must be loosing water somewhere , if no water visible it's got to be under ground floor, are you sure system is filled from tank in loft ? as you mention loosing pressure, how do you fill system ??

I've had the rads off and turned on the valves and water comes out, and the rads fill up when put back on but they just dont heat up

I can't see any visible signs of a leak. To fill the system I have to let the header tank in the loft fill up

So your heating system isn't pressurised?

are the flow and return the right way round (if you have trvs ) in the living room best way to test take the trv head off and see if it gets warm

If system is fed by header tank, and upstairs radiators are emptying then water must be leaving system quicker that header tank can fill it up, when you say you have to let header tank fill up, are you turning off water supply to this tank ? and how big is it ?

There is no trvs just normal rad valves. The header tank must be between 5 and 8ltrs maybe more. The header tank tips itself up sometimes after bleeding but I've drained the system down in the past week to fit a new pump to the system

as above and sounds like an air lock (maybe)

1. why drain system to change pump. 2. when you fitted new pump is it facing the right way ?

Had to drain the system because one of the shut off valves either side of the pump doesnt work anymore. And yes the pump is fitted the correct way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock