Discuss Has my friend been Ripped off ?or is this fair ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Update to this

he refuses to come out and sort out the radiator problem out but it gets deeper.

My friend finds out he is not gas safe registed and used his mates number to sign the job off
She didnt reply to any phone calls / texts
She called his mate who's number he'd used and told him she was reporting them both ,he said he was there with him and finished the job around 5pm, oh dear the job wasnt finished till 9pm at night and her neighbour lent him a halogen light so he could finish the outside work.

Obviously we knew they would make a story up saying they were both there etc but we thought no way will gas safe/ health and safety be that naive and thick to believe them,especially with 3 witnesses who saw everything ....how wrong we were !

The unregisted installer was reported to gas safe and the number and signature are not his ,
gas safe reply " he's not registed with us"

no sh/t sherlock thats why we are reporting him .

They send a letter out to him and his mate who's gas safe number he used about the complaint and gas safe get back to us weeks later saying.
"He said he was just helping and that the gas safe registed installer was there all day "

Well i never ! you don't say !
They were not going to turn around and say fair cop ,i've used my mates number and illegally intalled a gas boiler, punish us both .
So we reply saying we have 3 witnesses to say there was only 1 gas fitter there all day

gas safe say " but they said there were both there "

So you believe the non gas fitter and his qualified mate , but you don't believe us !!
how does that work ???

Health and saftey rang as well saying even if he did do it without a licence it was safely installed , to which i replied "you are kidding me!"
no
so i said i'm watching a few you tube videos tonight and going to fit boilers in my spare time and hung up.

So there you have it ,gas safe joke health and safety joke ,we are appealing

The tw@t who fitted it without being registed even has reviews on checkatrade saying he's done boiler installation.
" he came out boiler was broke he fitted a new one the next day" not the 2 lads came out *or ***they both done a great job ,Also another 2 reviews like that ,we sent screenshots of them to gas safe and health and safety , no still no joy ,

Why have gas safe why have health and safety if this is how they go on.

I really do give in.

Last edited:
Update to this
The unregisted installer was reported to gas safe , gas safe are a joke " he's not registed with us" no sh/t sherlock thats why we are reporting him .

They send a letter out to him and his mate who's gassafe number he used and gas safe get back to us weeks later saying.
"he said he was just helping and that the gas safe registed installer was there all day "

Well i never ! you don't say !
They were not going to turn around and say fair cop ,i've used my mates number punish us both .
So we reply saying we have 3 witnesses to say there was only 1 gas fitter there all day

gas safe say " but they said there were both there "

So you believe the non gas fitter and his qualified mate , but you don't believe us !!

Health and saftey rang as well saying even if he did do it without a licence it was safely installed , to which i replied "you are kidding me!"
no
so i said i'm watching a few you tube videos tonight and going to fit boilers in my spare time and hung up.

So there you have it ,gas safe joke health and safety joke ,we are appealing

the tw@t who fitted it without being registed even has reviews on checkatrade
" he came out boiler was broke he fitted a new one the next day" not the 2 lads came out or they both done a great job , another 2 reviews like that ,we sent screenshots of them to gas safe and health and safety , no still no joy ,

why have gas safe why have health and safety if this is how they go on.

I really do give in.
None of this in the original post.

What about the two radiators that the original post was about?

Now imagine paying them around £300 a year plus the course every 5 years around 2k

None of this in the original post.

What about the two radiators that the original post was about?
The original post first line.
my friend had a new combi boiler fitted and got the same plumber to install some radiators

my update post a few minutes ago

she has found out that he is not gas safe registed ( this was 3 months ago)

I then state he refuses to come out to sort the radiators

Then say what happened when he was reported for an illegal installation

I'll start a fresh thread on illegal combi installation if thats what you want

But so far he has ruined a hardwood floor fitted 2 radiators ,1 that leaks and 1 that is stone cold ,and fitted a gas boiler using someone elses number , and he is on checkatrade !

The problem with the new radiators could be down to pipe sizing as mentioned above? It could also be just a case of bleeding and balancing, without being there its hard to tell. I suggest your friend hires a reputable engineer/firm that is qualified and genuinely knows what they're doing. By all means continue your pursuit of what is clearly a dodgy guy

The original post first line.
my friend had a new combi boiler fitted and got the same plumber to install some radiators

my update post a few minutes ago

she has found out that he is not gas safe registed ( this was 3 months ago)

I then state he refuses to come out to sort the radiators

Then say what happened when he was reported for an illegal installation

I'll start a fresh thread on illegal combi installation if thats what you want

But so far he has ruined a hardwood floor fitted 2 radiators ,1 that leaks and 1 that is stone cold ,and fitted a gas boiler using someone elses number , and he is on checkatrade !

Updated after my reply though. Anyway.

Firstly forget the not gas safe registered bit. It's got nothing to do at all with the radiators and to be honest he must have done a good job on the boiler for your friend to get him back to do the radiators.

Secondly, get a n other person out to look at it, price to correct it and then write to original bloke, 14 days to fix or it will be fixed and chase him through small claims court also contact trading standards and place a complaint through them.

Checkatrade membership is no indication of being competent at your job. There are many fine and upstanding tradesmen on there and there are also some real dodgy fly by night merchants.

This has been going on for over 5 months, time to get it fixed and move on. Sometimes you just need to realise that lifes far too short.

The problem with the new radiators could be down to pipe sizing as mentioned above? It could also be just a case of bleeding and balancing, without being there its hard to tell. I suggest your friend hires a reputable engineer/firm that is qualified and genuinely knows what they're doing. By all means continue your pursuit of what is clearly a dodgy guy

Hey up he's back. Hope you are well SJB 👍👍

Reply to Has my friend been Ripped off ?or is this fair ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock