Discuss Grabbed By The Balls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a great believer in your gut instinct or my problem radar as I call it. The couple of times I've gone against it, it's cost me money. To me, you are already arguing about money and you've not even started. The jobs have a going rate and try taking promises about 150 houses to Asda when you need the weekly shop.

I have been in the situation where failing to follow my gut instinct has turned out to be a disaster.
Last night, I sent him details of all the materials I will need for the job (including pipe clips). He replied querying my need for a length of 15 & 22 mm copper pipes? Said all I need to do is take out old glow-worm boiler and fit the one he provides.

As if it's as easy as that, ffftttttt. When I rang to tell him there is more to replacing a boiler than just taking old one out and replacing with new, he said I must email him details of the exact work replacement procedure. I am happy to do that, but if this is how every other job is going to be, then I think this relationship will end before it even begins. I am more than happy to leave behind any off-cuts and left over copper pipes etc for him to retrieve at his convenience.

Apparently, BG (with whom he says he has a Service Contract) have asked him to replace four boilers in the last two months all of them fitted 4-5 yrs ago. I wonder why??? If you are paying £120/day to an RGI, chances are there will be no incentive to properly flush the system

Only did one job for a landlord, well tenant, who told me that he was in touch with his landlord and "ok'd" me to install at the property. Turns out he didnt "ok" me and the tenant has ripped me right off. Lesson is kids,
If a tenant wants work doing tell them they pay on completion (cash) and claim it back off the landlord. Let them do the arguing about money.
I have been in the situation where failing to follow my gut instinct has turned out to be a disaster. Last night, I sent him details of all the materials I will need for the job (including pipe clips). He replied querying my need for a length of 15 & 22 mm copper pipes? Said all I need to do is take out old glow-worm boiler and fit the one he provides. As if it's as easy as that, ffftttttt. When I rang to tell him there is more to replacing a boiler than just taking old one out and replacing with new, he said I must email him details of the exact work replacement procedure. I am happy to do that, but if this is how every other job is going to be, then I think this relationship will end before it even begins. I am more than happy to leave behind any off-cuts and left over copper pipes etc for him to retrieve at his convenience. Apparently, BG (with whom he says he has a Service Contract) have asked him to replace four boilers in the last two months all of them fitted 4-5 yrs ago. I wonder why??? If you are paying £120/day to an RGI, chances are there will be no incentive to properly flush the system
Don't waste your time with clowns.

I dont work for landlords anymore, as soon as they start going on about how many properties they own blah blah blah i just put the phone down

The landlord sounds like a bit of a nightmare, but is the work worth the hassle. The CP12's alone if for all 150 properties are worth over 6k, but no doubt as with any landlord they will kick up a fuss if you find any safety issues.

A landlord with 150 property's
I'd be thinking he has someone managing it not messing about like this himself

Just goes to show what Ray S said at the very beginning. Find the previous plumber and ask what went wrong. The fact he is this involved, signals problems. Besides, do i really want to put myself in a position where my regular customers will take second place?

He might be the inlaw! We used to work for a family who own a fair proportion if the business parks and retail space and even an old train station or two, they own platforms the lot and lease back to nexus. It has an antiques fair on it (pure tat) he runs this too. He drives a vogue and an r8 when not in his t5 for work! Nice really but he's the inlaw and they have a lot of wonga. Just built a tesco on some land and now building 400 houses in co Durham .

My main reason for wanting to take on the jobs was that I could take on the responsibility of ''training one or two kids from college as they are constantly asking for help in getting their foot in the door, seeing that the job will be steady. But considering how it is lookig as if he wants to watch every penny, I am tempted to walk away

Sure if you want the work take on a few jobs and see how it goes

Sure if you want the work take on a few jobs and see how it goes

In fact approach him that way, on the basis of - we don't know each other lets work together for a couple of weeks and see how it works for both of us, if after that time either of isn't;t happy, let's review and give each other the opportunity to walk away with no bridges burnt.. He'll get to know your standard of work and amount of recalls, and you get to see if he's a penny pinching b**t**d or a fair an honest guy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Grabbed By The Balls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock