Discuss Glowworm Micron 50FF - no electrical supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattH

Hello there,

We've been experiencing problems with our Micron 50FF boiler for a while now, but it came to a head a couple of days ago whereby the circuit the boiler is on kept tripping out. Plumber has changed both motorised valves (one was leaking and the other has been on its last legs for the best part of a year), as he suspected this was why the pump wasn't working - not that it was the pump itself. Since then, he advised that the pump was dead, so replaced that too - but alas, now the electricity is flowing through all valves/pump it's not reaching the boiler downstairs to fire up the pilot light. There are simply no lights, so it's not a question of fault finding via the Glowworm diagrams, nothing at all comes on. He's due to come back later, with a new fuse for the PCB, which is what he thinks the issue is, but I wondered if there was any advice anyone could give on this first? I have 2 questions - should the fuse have been removed in the PCB before he changed the pump (being replaced after the pump was fitted) and should he have checked before replacing anything that electricity was reaching the boiler in the first place (or would it have not because the pump wasn't working?). Many thanks in advance.

You have employed this plumber to fix your boiler / heating system now let him fix it, if he can not fix it do not pay them & get someone who can.
You would not dream of taking your car to a garage & then ask others how to fix it better still pay the garage when they say they do not know how to.
Have you agreed a price for the work required to fix the fault, as it sounds like this could run & run!!

I've only paid for the cost of parts - which at present is only one Honeywell 2 port valve and Wilo pump (can't confirm actual models as not at home at the moment). So not paid for any labour as yet - but did agree on a price before the work started, thanks for the heads up though.

I was merely enquiring as to whether anyone had come across this before as he seemed genuinely baffled as to why there was no electricity reaching the boiler unit now that both valves and pump are working correctly.

agree with Chris. Pay for the fix or find somebody who can fix it. You can always post your location and somebody from the forum can pop around.

If there is no power to boiler then changing fuse is pointless... Or do you mean power to boiler, but no lights?

May be an external wiring fault but we can't advise you about working on the gas boiler itself for safety reasons, let your plumber do his job & check he is gas safe registered.

If there is no power to boiler then changing fuse is pointless... Or do you mean power to boiler, but no lights?

May be an external wiring fault but we can't advise you about working on the gas boiler itself for safety reasons, let your plumber do his job & check he is gas safe registered.

This is what I suspected - he used a mains tester screwdriver and can't see that there is any power supply reaching the boiler, for reasons he cannot fathom as it was firing up (albeit temperamentally) before he replaced valves/pump. Thanks to you all...if we get a resolution later I will let you know what it took to get there. Cheers again.

One of them screwdrivers is inadequate for proper testing and fault finding!

Bin this guy and get someone in who know's what they're doing!

I would guess the power supply to boiler was disturbed when he was wiring new valves in airing cupboard!

A multimeter would be the correct tool for determining what voltage he has at the boiler, a 50pence screwdriver with a bulb in the handle won't get him very far lol!

Much safer to use a combi check type voltage tester (to GS38) if poss, gassafe.
Most multimeters have large exposed tips & poor finger guards etc. Di-Log-DL6780-CombiVolt-Voltage-Continuity-Tester_400_41LKG.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds as though your plumber doesn't know what he is doing. You need a heating engineer with a multimeter and the knowledge to use one. It's not hard to do a few tests and find out where the fault lies as opposed to guessing and throwing expensive parts at it till you get the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glowworm Micron 50FF - no electrical supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock