Discuss Glowworm boiler clicking but won't fire up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dcoop

Hi,

I've checked and am aware advice can't be given as to how to fix a boiler, I'm not asking for advice on how to fix it, more a case of how much I might expect something to cost. Apologies if I've got the wrong section.

This issue seems to have happened since my street had a power surge a couple of nights ago. Basically when I switch the heating on, I hear a whir(fan presumably, going by the sequence it's meant to follow), a click (spark to ignite) then nothing.. Then it just repeats. Until I switch it off at the wall. In the end, I just tried hitting a bit of it (where the temperature control and reset button are) with a hammer and it all fired up again for a while. That's worked twice. But I recognize it's probably not wise to keep doing that. So I'll be ringing round for a boiler man.. Is there any guesses as to what it could be? Or if you can't tell me that for fear I'll try fixing it.. Any guidance as to what price I should expect to pay?

I believe it's a glowworm ultimate 30ff if that helps.. (boiler doesn't have 30ff on it.. But found some diagrams online and it looks exactly the same)

Thanks

if he is very lucky it could be just a call out and a 30 second fix

Unfortunately there are too many factors to take into consideration. Where you are and what part might be needed are two for example.

I would say you could be paying 40-70 per hour for the guys time.

Well there are a lot of variables here but are you using a 16 ounce hammer or a 4 pound one
:disappointed:
maybe it would be better to use in on ya heeeed..to knock some sense into it

Get someone in before you do more damage

but if you are giving a prize for the nearest guess to cost will go for £217.80 for boiler repair ........and £200 for a new boiler case to replace the dented one..........

Last edited by a moderator:
£42 plus vat 1st call
£42 plus vat repair
£130 plus vat ish part
thats my guess anyway

Ask some of your nabours, they also may be having problems with electrical items, Could be a claim against power supplier !!

Thanks for the responses. Its still firing okay at the moment but i'll ring the guy anyway and see what he says. As i say, just wanted a rough idea on price, in case i get someone saying something like a grand..or new boiler. Not sure why drip-dry felt the need to respond as he did though, given id already said i knew i shouldnt be hammering it and wouldnt again..and id be getting a boiler man out. "be nice and helpful or dont reply"?

jts is quite correct, if you can collect evidence (neighbours etc) that a power surge happened, you can make a claim against the power company for the costs of repair, gsr engineer plus parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glowworm boiler clicking but won't fire up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Apologies - I am not a plumber - not sure if it is ok to post here but... It's freezing and my boiler is not working so, I wonder if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered...
Replies
Views
Hi, Newbie here so feel free to teach me the etiquette of this place, and apologies for the lengthy opening post. The boiler started locking out...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back