Discuss Gas Safe Engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a home learning course, I got asked by a family member?

But you said YOU had just started the gas safety course not a family member.

Ramjadav. You've asked the same question in multiple threads. This is trolling. Don't do it.

Consider yourself warned.

And you'll get your questions answered if and when you go on a real ACS course. Not a mickey mouse one that is fleecing you.

It always amazes me the ignorance of certain people. It seems they don't appreciate just how much hard work, time and training goes into making a good gas engineer. They think if a bloke in a van can do it then so can I! You can bet those same people wouldn't represent themselves in court instead of paying for a solicitor when they caused a gas incident. Or give themselves medical attention instead of going to a professional when they hurt themselves in that incident.

Peoples attitudes need to change towards us blokes in vans. They probably won't though.

Quote from a recent customer after I AR'd his unsupported flue..

"You people don't know what safety is!" Ha Ha :D

Hmm! A policeman was asked if it was safe to drive along a route at 60mph he replied "I am not telling you, your not a policeman!" ridicules, but perhaps an attitude some gas fitters seem to be getting. It is sufficient to give a warning about the law that tells of the need to use a registered gas installer for gas work not to withhold information. One can read or get information about how to use a gun, it does not mean you go about shooting people. A doctor will tell you what they propose to do in an operation, it does not mean you get the knife out and have a go yourself. So with holding information is just silly. After a warning it is up to the person to be responsible themselves. This is supposedly a help forum not a secret society, how can you help people if you tell them nothing? The information is intended to help people decide in a more balanced way as to what may be wrong with their gas system not for them to attempt to fix it themselves. Nearly all the big sheds give quite detailed information sheets after first warning people. The Copper Association gives professional information. What is wrong with that? It is not doing people out of work at all. Not to give information may in fact encourage people to have a go themselves on the basis that it looks easy. The point about using professionals is about right, but how will they know there is more to gas fitting if you do not tell them? Anyway most people I feel sure would use more professionals for many things, what stops them now is cost probably, except where they are forced too use them. As a young man in the 60's contractors where used extensively by many people for all kinds of things painting and decorating their homes and so on. It was the rising wage bills and subsequent job price increases that stopped them using contractors to the extent they once did. Lets also be honest many TV programs give away information all the time promoted by the big sheds. You can go into a shed and buy a gas boiler and fittings if you want too. It is the law that stops people fitting them for a living not information. It is probably information that makes them have second thoughts about fitting when they learn how complicated and dangerous it can be. Lets be honest you can kill with a car they are dangerous but nobody stops you buying them, it is up to you to drive properly even after a test that allows you to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you fail to take into account is that we are now in a far more litigeously minded society than we were 15, 20, 30 years ago. We are also in the middle of one of the worst depressions in early 40 years so people are more inclined to come on here to save a few quid.

YOU, meanwhile, go out and spend a couple of grand getting yourself trained to install, maintain and repair gas boilers.

Joe has a problem with his boiler, you know exactly what it is and tell him so. Joe is an engineer and thinks to himself "It's only a fan, how hard can it be?"

Joe and his family don't wake up the next morning. During the investigation into the CO poisoning case the HSE discover a print out of the UKPF page where you said "It's the fan mate."

There would be the possibilty that UKPF Admins and Mods as the forum management would be held culpable for allowing said info to be given. A remote possibility but one I'm not prepared to put to the test. Not only that I wouldn't want ANY fatalities on my conscience.

So not only have you been complicit in a death but you've managed to get the forum closed because Dan would have his hand forced by legal actions. You would also be responsible for another gsr, as equally trained and qualified, to be forced into the position of signing on because he cannot get work because we're telling Joe how to do everything.

The car analogy doesn't wash. You go through a period of training and practising under supervision. You are then rigorously tested. You are only permitted to legally go it alone if you pass those tests and adhere to the Highway Code. Failure to comply results in heavy penalties.

Whereas with the Gas Industry you go through a period of training and practising under supervision. You are then rigorously tested. You are only permitted to legally go it alone if you pass those tests and adhere to the GIUSR's. Failure to comply results in heavy penalties.

So no. The UKPF and it's members won't be offering any advice other than get a competent person in!

No I would not agree, drivers may have to pass a test, but how many know or should know the speed limits and do not keep them, are you suggesting speed limit signs are a waste of time? Are you supposing boiler manufacturers keep their information to themselves and only declare their people fit to install their boilers? That would virtually put the whole small business section of the gas industry out of work. You know Croppie, that when you make a report you do not state definitively what it is, you make suggestions of what it could be, that way you are not usually held by law to be responsible, it is up to the person to take it further. With the added rejoinder that you are required to meet legal requirements before you do anything. The forum should get legal advice as to what information and advice they are allowed to give rather than just put out a blanket ban. It make you look self interested which is a bit pointless for a public forum.

We do not need legal advice. The forum rules are as they are.

You can take it or leave it.

No I would not agree, drivers may have to pass a test, but how many know or should know the speed limits and do not keep them, are you suggesting speed limit signs are a waste of time? Are you supposing boiler manufacturers keep their information to themselves and only declare their people fit to install their boilers? That would virtually put the whole small business section of the gas industry out of work. You know Croppie, that when you make a report you do not state definitively what it is, you make suggestions of what it could be, that way you are not usually held by law to be responsible, it is up to the person to take it further. With the added rejoinder that you are required to meet legal requirements before you do anything. The forum should get legal advice as to what information and advice they are allowed to give rather than just put out a blanket ban. It make you look self interested which is a bit pointless for a public forum.

It's illegal for a person who lacks competence to affect any gas pathway, appliance or fitting. If you need advice and you are not a member of a group of persons approved by the HSE. The similarity with driving ends at the Identification card, picture on the front, qualifications on back. If you need advice on gas related issues your not competent...... Case and point.

As a non gsr engineer I totally agree with the old saying that a little information in the wrong hands is dangerous and none more so than on this subject but often the reply given of We will not give out .............................as a one or two line reply smacks of being High n Mighty and I can see why some OP get upset.

Instead why not direct them to the gas safe forum board or a sticky where they will see a more detailed single paragraph response on why this friendly forum is unable to repond to their question.

Don`t jump down my throat if Im out of order, Im not in the mood for fishing and this is my only post on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Safe Engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating circuit and ran hot and cold to the bathroom and kitchen in my property (I was a CORGI registered...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Back