Search the forum,

Discuss gas pipe volume in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leakylea

Can any body give me a link to gas pipe volume calculation thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd put it in the private forum then sure....

you'll have it in your books??

Leakylea, are you gas qualified or training to do gas exams? Your question doesn't sound right,

its called .............. download the app and use your brain cells for reading Nuts.

if you can call it reading ;)

pi= 3.142 .......Radius/squared x length. Useful charts in any gas study notes or books or the ACS assessments.

Although he asked about pipe volume, I bet he's on about IV/PV stuff and flow rates, but if he doesn't come back we will never know haha

Calculating the volume of a cylinder/tube used to be taught in primary school. I wonder if it still is?

I'm guessing leakylea's question involves something that us amateurs aren't supposed to know!

I wonder if he knows how to work out how long it takes 3 men to fill a 6 foot bath with only 1 tap if it takes 2 men 3 days to dig a hole 4 foot deep?

But why would DIY want to know volume? We all know in DIY land a 15mm supply is fine for any appliance?

I came across a large private house with two Worcester 28rsf boilers one 30 kw ideal mexico a large gas AGA along with two cookers a hob and two gas fires. These were fed by a g10 meter. As we all know there is a limit to the total volume of a system for a domestic gassafe engineer and a g10 takes up quite a good proportion of your volume allowance I had measured all the pipework mainly 28 and 22mm and simply wanted a quick trick for volume calcs. its nearly that time for my ACS updates, in the five years since my last ACS I have volume calc once before, although with the rise in boiler outputs and the amount of 28mm required after pipe sizing it may well be a more regular calculation. after 19 replies still not clear what the private room is. I am a guy trying to do the correct job in a professional way some of the replies let the site down or yourselves I am not sure. If my requirements were not clear just ask for clarity. people suggesting they new or thought what I might of meant or that I am a DIYer simply waste energy and are the reason I rarely use the site the job by the way was completed correctly thanks girls

Last edited by a moderator:
To calculate the IV of an installation it's not so much the formula you need but the tables containing the IV of each pipe size/material and the meters, of course you still need the formula but it's easy:
Split the installation into pipe lengths for each diameter then multiply the running length by the volume per metre from the table eg (all volumes are per linear m for copper)
15mm is 0.00014
22mm is 0.00032
28mm is 0.00054
35mm is 0.00084
Once you have added all the pipe lengths up you then multiply the total by 1.1 (to add 10% which is an allowance for fittings! it's the same allowance for every install)
You then add the IV of the specific meter (info taken from another table)
Eg U16 is 0.025
The total is the IV of the installation and needs to be under 0.035m3 to be worked on by a domestic engineer
The next step would be to calculate the PV (purge volume) this is simply done by calculating the IV as above then multiplying the answer by 1.5

To calculate the IV of an installation it's not so much the formula you need but the tables containing the IV of each pipe size/material and the meters, of course you still need the formula but it's easy:
Split the installation into pipe lengths for each diameter then multiply the running length by the volume per metre from the table eg (all volumes are per linear m for copper)
15mm is 0.00014
22mm is 0.00032
28mm is 0.00054
35mm is 0.00084
Once you have added all the pipe lengths up you then multiply the total by 1.1 (to add 10% which is an allowance for fittings! it's the same allowance for every install)
You then add the IV of the specific meter (info taken from another table)
Eg U16 is 0.025
The total is the IV of the installation and needs to be under 0.035m3 to be worked on by a domestic engineer
The next step would be to calculate the PV (purge volume) this is simply done by calculating the IV as above then multiplying the answer by 1.5

Spot on!

And the total PV (PV[SUB]t[/SUB])
PV[SUB]t [/SUB]= PV[SUB]m [/SUB]+ 1.5 (IV[SUB]p [/SUB]+ IV[SUB]f[/SUB])
PV of U16 is 0.03 m[SUP]3[/SUP]

If IV exceeds 0.02 m3,the purged mixture shall be ignited as soon as possible at an open burner or at a temporarily-installed burner.

If IV does not exceed 0.02 m3, the purging procedures may be applied without attempting to light the purged mixture at any stage, provided the area into which the gas is being purged is well ventilated, for example with windows and doors.

IGE/UP/1B Edition 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas pipe volume in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock