Discuss Frozen pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SWBreeze

woke up this morning and the cold taps upstairs are not working, but the hot are, and downstairs the cold is working, but the hot isn't. my phone says it's minus 17 outside!!
the heating was on all night at 20 degrees. Could this be frozen pipes? where would it likely be? what's the best action?

thanks

Almost certain its a frozen pipe. Keep the hot tap cracked open. Take a look in the loft with a torch for exposed pipe, any draft in the loft will freeze a pipe quickly. If you can identify the frozen part, check for splits, or seperation of joints. If the pipe is still in one piece and you can identify the frozen part, then boil the kettle and soak towels in hot water. Drape the towels over the frozen part. Keep a tap open and have someone to shout up when the flow starts. If this is a problem you can use a hair dryer.

Before you attempt all of this, make sure you can isolate the cold mains stopcock, incase when it thaws there is a split, and you get water splashing everywhere.

Its not in the loft for certain, but its a good place to start. Basically look for pipe that is in cold position. I had a customer with a frozen pipe behind a kitchen unit yesterday, and yes it had pushed 2 joints apart. So be careful and methodical.

If in doubt call a plumber.

Good luck.

Last edited:
it's most likely going to be in your cold water tank in the loft ( well your pipes servicing it ) as if you have cold downstairs you know it it not your mains so this is most likely where it is

Danny can i just say that i have been looking at your portfolio and may i just say how fantastic that is!! there are some excellent design pieces there did you have much say in where things went or were they customer orientated?

I've had a look in the loft and I can't see any frozen pipes, I can't actually get to the tank because of all the junk up there, but I can see that the pipes looks insulated and there's insulation in the loft.

I've left the hatch open and cranked the heating up to full, like I said the heating was on 20 all night so can't believe it's got that cold ...

Got called to an empty house on Friday by an Estate agent as there had been a burst pipe and they wanted me to turn off the water. What a mess, it was the main feed pipe to the cold water tank and I think it had frozen over a week ago. We then had the warmer spell and it had burst and so it had been flowing for over a week. It had been a rental property and the owners had decided to sell, they had had it all done up with all new carpets, bathroom and kitchen and freshly decorated. They had just found a buyer and offer accepted but no exchange of contracts. I don't know how long it had been empty but I fear they may have problems with their insurance.

I turned off the water and drained the CWT, the HWC and the central heating. I only live around the corner so while the central heating was draining down I nipped home for a cup of tea, it was so cold that when I got back my hose to the outside had frozen up, I had to take it home to defrost it.

I checked the central heating oil tank and not only was it empty the isolation valve was closed. I subsequently talked to the owners and it was the estate agents responsibility, they were also the letting agents, to check the heating during the cold weather. Methinks there could be some litigation here.

Word of Caution if opening hot tap. If your open vent/cold feed from the hot water vessel are frozen or partialy, opening the hot tap will cause a vacum in the vessel and cause it to collapse.

Danny can i just say that i have been looking at your portfolio and may i just say how fantastic that is!! there are some excellent design pieces there did you have much say in where things went or were they customer orientated?

Thanks very much for the compliment. I would say most of the positions were dictated by the client, designer or original layout. However a great amount of it has been chosen by me and my business partner. The website is being updated next month, as half our portfolio is not online...as the designer thought it a bit too bathroom heavy. However I've realised some projects that I'm really proud of are missing, so I'm going to have them put on.

My web designer a lady called Judith Barret is very helpful and talented.

Cheers, when the time is right for me i might ask you for her details if you don't mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Frozen pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock