Discuss flues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
just been out to look at a nine year old glow worm 30 cxi with a vertical flue.
its a condensing boiler but the woman wants to keep it where it is currently in the old airing cupboard on the landing.

with it being a condensing boiler i assume i can use the vertical flue that is currently in situ,

therefore does anyone on here know what boilers will fit onto this flue pipe ?

I would swap it to the the new boiler manufacturer flue and run through the same route.

ring gas safe and ask their advice :)

done it before after contacting ideal and gas safe and i could use the previous flue as an ideal was being installed at that time however not sure how interchangeable these flues are through other models

Really? They are normally so vague and pretty much bend over but it will come square onto your toes!

had an ideal boiler couple year ago same scenario pig of a vertical flue but as it was condensing model and i knew eaga use to o.k the vertical flues if they matched the model i questioned it.

contacted ideal and they said that it was ok with their models , double checked with gas safe and they said pretty much same thing , however they are like you say vague as and normally bypass anything you really need to know.

got same scenario now pig of vertical flue so wondered if glow worms can do same same

how would you know the seals arent about to fail, as they do over time with original boiler. Seems some folk just want to be in court, bugger what some teenager on the tech line tells you

how would you know the seals arent about to fail, as they do over time with original boiler. Seems some folk just want to be in court, bugger what some teenager on the tech line tells you. did you get the answer in black n white writing on paper fm the manufacturer or gas safe, as neither will back you up if things go toes up.

Don't do it. There s no way you can guarantee that flue s remaining life span, it's already 9 years old. If it's a pig to get to I'm guessing you can't inspect the terminal either? Or know the condition of the extensions or internals. If it's needs scaffold, it needs scaffold they will have to pay, if they won't, walk away. If it doesn t feel right it generally isn't. You want to be able to sleep at night.

Got asked today to use isar flue on a Logic Pro exclusive. Sorry but no

The way the standards (5440 part 1) is written you can do this, But there is no way you can be confident that the old flue will not degrade to a dangerous condition.

done it before after contacting ideal and gas safe and i could use the previous flue as an ideal was being installed at that time however not sure how interchangeable these flues are through other models

It’s like buying a new car and asking a garage to take the new exhaust out and stick a 9 year old one in. WHY?

Or it’s like buying a brand spanking newly build house with a shiny boiler BUT asking to take the new boiler out and whack a 9 year old one in. Great! Why not? Any time!?

...its a condensing boiler but the woman wants to keep it where it is currently in the old airing cupboard on the landing.

Here’s one for her: How about, keep the 9 years old boiler but get the new flue!? DOH!

I have only ever reused a flue once.

It was a 2 year old Vaillant installed by the company I was working for, the condense went into the shower waste from the room above. In the really harsh winter 4 or 5 years ago the waste froze up, the customer thought it was just the shower had blocked up so put some drain cleaner in. As the condense thawed out from top down the boiler became the lowest point so the cleaner went through the boiler killing the fan, gas valve and Pcb I also said to the customer I wasn't sure on what the cleaner would do to the heat exchanger so recommended replacing that too, she said just replace the boiler. I then spoke to gas safe and Vaillant and explained that the flue was in good condition and installed correctly and they said not a problem, all I did was replace the seals.

I wouldn't ever mix and match manufacturers though and if it is 8 years old just replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back