Search the forum,

Discuss Fixings for dot & dab ( dry lined ) walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BN9Pete

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I have a job coming up where I have got to install 2 upright rads to dot & dab/ dry lined walls.
I am looking for advice on which is the best type of fixing for this job, I have installed a few upright rads but always on brick or block walls.
I have seen a product online called Dryline Pro which is designed for these walls, but I haven't seen them sold in any builders/plumbers merchants or in Screwfix. Don't really want to order them if I can buy something locally to do the job.

The rads are single panel and 2 metres high.

Thanks in advance, as I won't be back online until this evening.

If you ever get stuck in the middle of no-where and don't have fixings for dot and dab, we used to:

1. Measure the distance between the wall and the surface of the plasterboard (stick a screwdriver through where you want to drill and, measure it).

2. Cut a piece of copper to this length to act as a sleeve for the screw and for the surface appliance / rad bracket to pull up against.

3. Drill your hole into the brickwork as normal and fit the appropriate wall plug.

4. Put a decent washer behind the screw to give it added support.

5. Fit the appliance / rad as normal.

This was the old method of fixing to dot and dab before all the nice fixings supplied nowadays and it does work nicely so just ensure you have a few decent washer just in case the expensive fixings run out!

4" x 12 screws if there is no dab near by then some expanding foam between board and wall can stop board movement.

just done 14 rads couple of weeks ago, bloody nightmare 2'' void behind wobbly 9mm plasterboard!
ended up using my last supply of 100mm x 14's pozi's then no-nailed the bracket to plaster board.

going to try those brown grip-its next time with some no nails to glue them in.

Last edited:
If you ever get stuck in the middle of no-where and don't have fixings for dot and dab, we used to:

1. Measure the distance between the wall and the surface of the plasterboard (stick a screwdriver through where you want to drill and, measure it).

2. Cut a piece of copper to this length to act as a sleeve for the screw and for the surface appliance / rad bracket to pull up against.

3. Drill your hole into the brickwork as normal and fit the appropriate wall plug.

4. Put a decent washer behind the screw to give it added support.

5. Fit the appliance / rad as normal.

This was the old method of fixing to dot and dab before all the nice fixings supplied nowadays and it does work nicely so just ensure you have a few decent washer just in case the expensive fixings run out!

May just try this with some decent Fischer plugs to go into the wall.
Thanks.

I find them useless.

What worries me is trying these fixings for the first time on a 2 metre rad, one of you is recommending them and the other says useless.
I asked in one of the local suppliers today about these fixings, they said they gave samples out to a few installers and they didn't go down well, the supplier decided not to stock them.

I would give them a chance on a small rad.

Interset Cavity Fixings | JPL Direct

Make sure you use the setting tool

Great for plasterboard on stud walls, on dot & dab though would they work? gap between the board and wall may not be big enough.
I do keep 2 or 3 sizes of this type of fixing in my van and the setting tool, so worth a try if the gap between the board and wall is greater than the length of the fixing.

Is it thermolite blocks?

80s house so I'm guessing yes, but I have only been to the property to do the estimate so I will find out next week.

120mm concrete screws have done the trick for me in the past - love them.

I use long rawl bolt things from screw fix. They have about a 30mm spacer on them and I've not had a problem yet.

does same job as a lump o 3x3 at the back!
anyhow, how do you get them behind the plaster board??????

Drill a hole that size with a hole cutter

ah yeh, now i like your thinking, but i never get the holes in the right place anyway.lol

fffffffff how much!!

Hahaha now what's the saying cut once measure 1 billion times :)

and was was the first link so price will be high shop around

May just try this with some decent Fischer plugs to go into the wall.
Thanks.

I'm glad someone gets it, this was standard practice years ago and we had huge estates like it and all I did day in day out was fix radiators and boilers using this method, never had a recall on one ever.

Just ensure you fit enough of a decent plug and screw size and it's not going anywhere, not that difficult!!

Each to there own just saying i've used these for dot and dab walls and they are great. Add a couple of quid on the job and get it right first time

I use frame fixings the type that screw into the brick/block with out any plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fixings for dot & dab ( dry lined ) walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'd like to get some advice on the following issue. We have relatively large tiles (see image 1), and the idea was that the vertical...
Replies
Views
Hoping for some advice as I seem to be hitting a brick wall. Moved into a house last year, radiators down strairs (4 of them) never really got...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady...
Replies
Views
Hi I have installed my concealed shower valve and fitted wall panels, I'm soon ready to put shower fittings through the panels and screw them into...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock